Dealing With Mental Illness During The Holidays
Mental Health

The Holidays Can Be Hard For Those With Mental Illness, So Give Us A Break

Please, give us a break, and no, please do not ask us about it.

58

The holidays are an absolutely wonderful time. I am wholeheartedly a Christmas person who has secretly been listening to Christmas music since before Halloween (sorry Mom). The thing that isn't totally great about holidays is all of the mandated family time. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my family, as well as the other families that I spend Christmas with. However, it's absolutely exhausting.

Every Christmas up until last year or so, I would always sneak off to the spare room and have an hour (or two) nap while festivities were going on outside, and my family did not bother me. And I love them for it. I need my alone time. While I may seem like the extroverted type at times and thrive on social interactions, I actively need to prepare myself for being around family. Not because I hate them or they are overbearing, but just because of the way that I am.

So if someone in your family suffers from depression or anxiety (especially social anxiety), please let them stay in the corner if they need to at that moment!

Also, politics can play a part in the triggering of certain mental illnesses, especially PTSD. So this is your yearly friendly reminder that people react differently to social settings, and understanding can be the best gift you give this Christmas.