How Holidays Are Different After You're Engaged

How Your Commitment To The Holidays Changes After You're Engaged

'Tis the season...

273

As my Thanksgiving break from school came to a close last Sunday, I had some time to reflect on the differences from this Thanksgiving holiday from my previous holidays in the years before. While my family has never questioned me about my future or relationships, they mostly ask about what I am studying in college and that answer never changes, they definitely seemed a little more interested in my personal life this Thanksgiving.

After the older women in my family asked to see my ring and asked what my fiance had chosen to major in college and asked how much longer each of us still had left in our educational careers, the conversation died down.

My father's side of the family is one of little words, which can be nice.

My fiance's family is the complete opposite, though. When we arrived at his grandmother's house, everyone excitedly asked to see my new beautiful ring and proceeded to ask about the details of the upcoming wedding.

Questions such as "Where are you guys going to live?" and "When is the wedding?" can be intimidating and sort of scary to answer, especially when a lot of the post-wedding details are still being discussed.

My best advice to anyone else in a similar situation is to reveal details that were easier to figure out or things pertaining with the wedding that can be discussed based on some family members' past experiences, like color schemes and when to apply for a marriage license. Simple things like decorations and dress styles are also good conversation topics for when your future family members start to stress you out with what feels like an interrogation you did not prepare for.

Overall, I genuinely enjoy my fiance's family and how we spend our holidays together.

This includes family photos, lots of food, and dice games (which can get really competitive). I am excited for the future and for now feel like I have wedding planning under control.