Growing Up

This Holiday Break Made Me Realize How Much I've Grown Up

The holidays have a new meaning.

34

Christmas always seems like the most magical time of the year. Everyone feels motivated to give it meaning and to get involved with holiday traditions like decorating gingerbread houses or watching a classic flick. I know each time the holiday is approaching I hop on Pinterest and search for unique activities I can do with friends.

One of my favorite things my family and I get to do during the holidays is go to Miami and visit my family over there. It's always a loud affair with Spanish music blasting and everybody yelling at each other because we can't hear what anyone is saying. I get to see my grandpa and my cousins. I get to laugh a ton with my family and I love those moments.

This year, I've realized that Christmas is so much different than it used to be for me in the past. I have a younger brother and he gets so caught up in the gifts that he'll be getting (he gets most of what he wants so that's not a surprise). I used to be that way too. But now I'm more excited about the family I get to see and be around. I think being away for college has influenced that a little bit and I definitely appreciate being home more.

Gifts have always been a hit or complete miss for me, so it's not something I really look forward to. When it is something I love though I will adore it for sure. It might be the season of giving, but it's such a special time to reconnect with family members and appreciate the people who are still on this Earth.

I think it's kind of telling that you're getting older when you start appreciating moments over materialistic things. Those are the things I'm going to remember most when time goes on and things don't stay the same. It's something you learn on your own I guess.

I'm glad that the new year is coming and that we have another year to go before Christmas rolls around again. But I'm excited to see how much more I grow before then. Life's fun y'all.