I Watched The Hocus Pocus Reunion And Honestly, Are The Sanderson Sisters Really Back?

Was the live special all it was cracked up to be?

112

From someone that absolutely adores Halloween, I've always been in love with the movie "Hocus Pocus". I mean who wouldn't be...the witches, the spells, the spooky yet hilarious atmosphere, there's definitely a reason why this movie is a Halloween classic! However, while watching the spooktacular special, it felt a little underwhelming for me in some places, and here's why:

The Hostess with the Mostest

cdn2.lamag.com

First, we were greeted by the mistress of evil herself, Elvira. It was so fun to see her back on the screen and cause more evil havoc as she goes on a quest to summon the Sanderson Sisters back to our world.

The Documentary Style DID NOT Put a Spell on Me

assets.vogue.com

Yet, the overall atmosphere of the special did not sit right with me. Certain parts of the storyline confused me and just didn't tie into one another, for example when many celebrities made cameo appearances dressed as different characters. Instead of them embodying a new character to add to the story, I became confused because I didn't understand who or what they were supposed to be. Also, John Stamos as the devil was a little weird, but I do have to admit seeing Meryl Streep talk about how Winifred would haunt her out of parts, was funny!

The Return of the Virgin

imgix.bustle.com

Our favorite witchcraft siblings were back! Max and Dani made a special appearance, with Dani making fun of a now 44 year old Max, for still being a virgin. He lights the black flame candle again which of course brings the Sanderson Sisters back to our realm!

Editing Was Not Quite There

assets.vogue.com

Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, many production companies had to come up with creative solutions to make entertainment now. This involves many people working from home and editors piecing together everything to create something magical. However, at times the edits felt weird and out of place, like why did Jamie Lee Curtis slam the door in Winifred's face three times in three different places? Although, I have to give props to the editors for making Mary look like she was stuck between many picture frames. That was cool!

Todrick Hall Stole the Show!

scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

Ok, where's the candle I can light to have Todrick Hall show up at my house! Todrick Hall appears as another witch who doesn't understand what's the big deal with the Sanderson Sisters. My favorite part was when Hall sang a Hocus Pocus rendition of his song, "Nails, Hair, Hips, Heels". Definitely adding that version to my Halloween playlist!

The Ending Had Me Under a Spell

i.ytimg.com

The ending totally had me spellbound! After finding their lost sister, Sarah, the Sanderson Sisters put on a benefit concert and sang their iconic song, "I Put a Spell on You", but with a modernized twist. Where are the tickets to their concert, and how can I buy as many as I can?

Mariah Carey's Cameo

assets.vogue.com

Of course, the queen of Christmas had to come in at the very end and remind the sisters that it's almost her time to shine again. I died of laughter when Carey slammed the door in Winifred's face, and the credits rolled in with "All I Want for Christmas is You" playing in the background.