Government Shutdown

Our Government Has Become A 'Shut-Show'

The government can and should be doing better

488
Our Government Has Become A 'Shut-Show'

While the two political parties wage war with each other, many innocent, hard-working Americans that did not volunteer for this war are quickly losing ground in their pursuit of happiness in the American way.

This morning I attempted to do some research for an article on Florida manatees and the environment, and as I browsed the internet for valid sites to get my statistics, I found several federal websites with a statement like this: "Due to the expiration of government funding, the ECOS application is unavailable. While websites remain up and not updated, applications are shut down due to the lapse in appropriations. You can also email the helpdesk. More information is available at www.fws.gov."

Personally, this is not a financial burden, but a reason to bring more awareness to my readers. As the facts and figures of the shutdown are tossed around in the media, the history of this disturbing government function needs to be put into perspective. Government shutdowns have been a part of American politics for as far back at 1790. However, the 1900s is when the shutdowns became a common practice.

In 1977 the government shutdown three separate times, the first time on September 30, 1977, over abortion. What is interesting about this shutdown is the standoff was between a Democratic-run House and Senate that disagreed on how to fund the money for abortions. The second and third time were extensions of this issue, and finally, the Senate won the decision to fund abortions not only mothers at risk but victims of rape and incest.

There were five government shutdowns during President Jimmy Carter's term. The last shutdown on September 30, 1979, was once again at odds over abortion and a 5.5 percent pay increase for senior civil servants and members of Congress. The House, of course, got their pay increase, the decision on abortions was split to allowing funding for rape and incest victims and not women with life-threatening risks.

However, "during the last year of President Jimmy Carter's administration. That's when Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti issued a legal opinion saying government work cannot go on until Congress agrees to pay for it." This kept the shutdown days to less the five days.

During Ronald Reagan's presidency, there were eight government shutdowns. With a Democratic-controlled House and a Republican President, most budgets were disputed and revised during Reagan's term. These shutdowns were short-lived but cost the government in excess of $50 million in back pay and expenses.

The longest shutdown before to the current was in 1995 under President Clinton. The conflict between the two parties was over funding for Medicare, education, and the environment, with public health being an additional subject of contention within the 1996 federal budget. The shutdown began on December 16, 1995. 284,000 workers were furloughed for 21 days, until the shutdown was ended on January 6, 1996.

The shutdown of 2013 took place during October, lasted for 16 days. The deadlock was centered over a political fight between the Republican House and President Barack Obama and the Democratic Senate, over the Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014 and other political issues. The dispute led to a budget impasse which threatened massive disruption. Approximately 800,000 federal employees furloughed, and an additional 1.3 million required to report to work without known payment dates. The deadlock between the two political parties lasted for sixteen days Congress passed the Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014 on the evening of October 16, with Obama signing it shortly after midnight on October 17.

The current shutdown has the Democrats standing their ground, but it is on the backs of innocent people. There have been numerous interviews with sympathy seeking Democrats discussing the horrors of the people affected by this event. However, they have no clear plan to end the standoff. Many asking citizens not affected directly to pitch in and help others. Their socialistic views asking others to open their wallets and their hearts, for the "American people, have been taken hostage and we do not negotiate with hostage takers." The Republicans are backing their president as a sign of solidarity but might be at the cost of their political futures.

The political war the current administration and chambers of Congress are embarked in is tantamount to the politics practiced since the Obama's left the White House. The finger pointing, name calling, and overall unprofessionalism to say the least of these representatives of our United States should be ashamed of themselves. I am afraid I have to disagree with the practice of shutting down our government to defeat a proposed bill sent to be negotiated, voted on, and passed. If you cannot agree you do not stop until you can. You do not send the innocent by-standers home either.

You work for your paycheck just like you are expecting the federal employees to do. Oh, wait, many are still at work and not getting paid, and many have been sent home to wait for a resolution with no guarantee that they will be coming back to work sooner than later. While our "millionaire" president holds on to his campaign promise of an imaginary wall, the country is losing its reputation on the global stage. The history books will be filled with the facts of the shutdown, but not the emotional trauma it has put on innocent Americans.