Diversity In 2018
Politics

We Lived To See History Made In The 2018 Election And That's Pretty Freakin' Awesome

Politics aside, we lived to see history.

179
https://unsplash.com/photos/ALGRkWz3-yc

November 6th was a very memorable day in US history. Politics aside, election day was a very monumental day of change for the minorities of our country. Several women, Muslims, and members of the LGBT community were elected into office this year which is a huge step for our country.

In terms of women being elected, there was a record-breaking number in this year's election. 235 US house of representatives, 22 US senates, 3379 State of legislatures, and 16 governors (YASSS LADIES).

An openly gay man was also elected governor of Colorado, along with an Oregon governor who identifies as bisexual.

After the major hype of election day results, all headlines read "Midterm election will feature the most diverse group of candidates ever" and "The midterm elections have made history with several firsts". And I think it says a lot that the media is taking notice and praising the diversity.

The steps that we as a country are taking towards openness and acceptance of every individual no matter what their race, gender, or sexuality is something that I am proud to be part of.

Webster's Dictionary defines the term "vote" as: a usually formal expression of opinion or will in response to a proposed decision.

An expression of opinion.

Which everyone is entitled to, no matter who they are or what their opinion happens to be.

Politicians serve increasingly diverse communities with a wide range of different needs. Minorities, people with disabilities, and the elderly have a number of group-specific concerns that should be addressed by people who understand those concerns first-hand.

Interested individuals from different minority communities will also draw on a larger pool of candidates. It encourages political participation by giving them a chance to stand up and help bring their particular issues to the forefront.

Diversifying candidates will diversify policy.

And the meaning of "diverse" goes way beyond just race or sex. Having an office of vastly diverse skills and passions is also beneficial because it gives more depth and balance to a department. If everybody political leader came from the same background and had the same morals, we wouldn't be able to properly address the needs of every individual.

In a nutshell, political diversity is how we can fulfill the needs of individuals in every political party. And I hope this election opens the doors for more people to have the courage to stand up for what you believe in and for what you want to do. No one should ever feel like they cannot accomplish their goals while still staying true to yourself.