history of long distance relationships
Long Distance

From 892 Miles To 0, Sometimes Long Distance Relationships Do Work Out

The only thing keeping them apart was distance.

622
girl traveling on train

As T. Tolis said, "To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to love and be loved, that's everything."

My Aunt Morgan and Uncle Paul's love story seems to come straight out of a movie.

They each had a sibling, Morgan had a brother named Heath and Paul had a sister named Megan. Heath and Megan started dating and honestly were a cute couple. At this point Morgan and Paul were in lower school and admiring their siblings relationship and awed at the fact that two people could love each other so much. Right when Paul laid his eyes on Morgan, he knew she was special. Paul was in 6th grade when he muscled up the courage to ask Morgan out. He has been thinking about it for weeks and finally decided to call her up and ask her to a movie. To his disappointment she rejected him. Paul never lost feelings for Morgan but was forced to hide how he felt because he know from being turned down that she did not feel the same way.

Their siblings soon broke up but that did not stop Morgan and Paul from hanging out. They went to the same Saturday school so it was hard not to see each other. Their teachers could not get them to be quiet and was forced to separate them at one point. They went on a numerous amount of adventures but Paul never cared about what they were doing. As long as he was spending time with the girl he cared about most. The thing he loved most was talking to her. He thought it was cute that he favorite animal was monkeys and that she had a soft spot for IHop and Chocolate ice-cream. He didn't even like country music that much but dedicated himself to learn a plethora of country hits because he knew that was what she loved. He would give her the world if he could. But she would never know how he felt...

They continued to do fun activities together like going to the community pool and get ice-cream. At one point they even played baseball with a melon. Like mentioned earlier, it did not matter what they did, they would always have fun with each other.

Unfortunately, when entering eighth grade, Paul found out he was moving from Baltimore Maryland to Orlando Florida. Hearing that news broke Paul. Not because he was scared Morgan would miss him and he would miss her. No, he was absolutely terrified that she would forget about him. That all their memories and adventures would stop there. He did not want the story to end there. So Paul would keep in touch as much as he could. Morgan would continue living her best life. She started dating a boy that she really liked. As much as it hurt Paul, he just wanted her to be happy. Even if that meant they would never end up together.

Life continued and they both lived their separate lives. They both made an effort to reach out as much as possible but it was hard when they lived 892 miles away from each other. Morgan broke up with her boyfriend and selfishly, when Paul heard the news, he smiled.

The Phone rang and to Pauls surprise it was Morgan. They haven't talked in awhile but it was a pleasant surprise. He answered and what came out of her mouth made his heart DROP. She invited him to prom. To act cool he told her he would have to look at his calendar which was a lie but wanted to seem casual. Paul called his parents and begged to book a flight to Baltimore. After much convincing, his parents reluctantly agreed to send him off.

Paul was nervous. He dreamed of taking Morgan to prom because of the move, he thought his chance would never come. Paul's flight landed and he was only given three hours to prepare before going to prom. After picking up a corsage and putting on his tux, he heard the doorbell ring. He was dazed as he saw Morgan in her beautiful dress. Paul always prided how Morgan was absolutely, astoundingly gorgeous, but more how she was so much more. Her smile lights up the room and her intelligence never ceases to impress him.

Next, Paul and Morgan went to take pictures. He felt awkward but inclined to take as many or little pictures as Morgan wanted. His mission was to give her the best prom of her life. Anything she asked of Paul, he provided. He even went out into the pouring rain to her bags after leaving it in the car. If she was happy, Paul was happy.

Dancing was never a skill that Paul acquired but he did not leave the dance floor for one second. He never wanted to leave. It was like a dream, holding Morgan's hand while they danced to a bunch of songs that neither of them honestly knew the words to but it never mattered. They were happy just being together. After prom, Morgan dropped Paul off at the house he was staying at. They walked to the door together. All Paul wanted to do was kiss her. All he has ever wanted was to kiss her. But he didn't want to ruin the great relationship they had. He decided to play it safe and hug her. They hugged and Paul walked to the door. Right before he reached for the doorknob Paul heard Morgan say, "wait." He turned around and she jumped into his arms. They kissed and Paul instantly felt fireworks. That was something he has wanted for years but never thought it was going to happen.

That is all he could think about so he decided to surprise her with flowers. He went to drop it off but saw a car leaving the driveway and started to panic. Luckily, the window was open in his car so he immediately jumped in through the window and reversed his car around all the turns. He made a safe get away without being spotted. The gesture was appreciated and Paul finally felt like he could tell Morgan how he felt.

On Paul's last day in town he wanted to see Morgan, he needed to see her. He was determined to tell her how he has felt for the last fifteen years. But the night before, Morgan canceled and hearing this crushed Paul. He was devastated and in a slump for that night. He woke up to Morgan telling him that she had a few hours that they could hang out. It never mattered on how long. One second of seeing her beautiful smile was enough for Paul.

They didn't have enough time to go out so they just sat in the car and talked. They talked about everything. Paul finally confessed to how he has been feeling ever since he saw her. Funny thing is they were on the same page. She told him that she liked him since they were kids. Since they went out to ice-cream and all the times they hung out. She admitted to liking Paul even when he asked her out in the 6th grade. Even during their adventures. But she didn't know how to tell him. They both had the same feeling but hid it from each other, terrified of the others reaction. Now it is so clear. They both decided to be transparent with each other. The sad thing is that the only thing keeping them apart was distance. 892 miles to be exact. Paul realized at that very moment that he loved her. All the fear of the unknown subsided. Pauls goal in life was to make Morgan happy. She could date whoever she wanted until their time came. He didn't care what happened because he knew they were endgame. Paul was ready for the long haul. He was willing to wait because there is not an expiration date on love.

They soon parted ways but not before one more kiss.

This was not a goodbye but a see you later.

After college they stayed connected through social media and conversations they would have on FaceTime and text. They both graduated college and lucky enough were single. Paul got a job in Baltimore. This was a surprise for Morgan. One day he rang her doorbell. Morgan answered and he said, "I told you, we are endgame." Soon later they started dating, then got engaged and finally got married. They had three beautiful children and the rest is history.

The 892 miles soon turned into 0.

The greatest thing in life is friendships and love. Morgan and Paul were lucky enough to have both.