20 Traditional Hispanic Recipes For Hispanic Heritage Month

20 Traditional Hispanic Recipes To Feast On In Honor Of Hispanic Heritage Month

... in case you needed another excuse to eat empanadas and churros.

18768

Like many of my wanderlust-ridden friends and family, I'll travel anywhere for the promise of good food. I once went to Thailand in pursuit of traditional massaman curry and Spain for authentic patatas bravas — neither of which let me down.

What usually ends up being the biggest letdown is coming home to miss the traditional, local cuisine. It may not have quite the same ambiance, but trying to cook authentic dishes at home can increase appreciation for the craft and culture behind them.

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, making our favorite dishes from Hispanic countries has been top of mind — not to mention if you're anything like me, you've been looking for an excuse to eat more chilaquiles and arroz con maíz.

We could likely find hundreds of recipes online, but digging through the weeds to find one only to realize after you've bought the ingredients and cooked it to find out it's not turned well at all is one of the biggest culinary disappointments.

The recipes below are tried and true favorites from a blend of Hispanic countries, all paying homage to the culturally rich places they come from:

Fainá from Argentina by The Spruce Eats

The Spruce Eats

Naturally gluten-free, cheesy bread, think of it like Argentinian pizza.

Empanadas Mendocinas from Argentina by Laylita's Recipe

Laylita's Recipes

The fried, stuffed, spicy dough can be easily adapted for vegan or vegetarian diets as a side or main dish with a variety of sauces.

Majadito from Bolivia by The Whimsical Project

@noseaslight

Rice, fried plantain, and meat smothered in savory garlic and cumin.

Porotos from Chile by Mi Diario de Cocina

Mi Diario de Cocina

Spicy beans stewed in a soothing blend of pumpkin, corn, and paprika make this the ultimate fall comfort food.

Arepas from Colombia by Hispanic Kitchen

@contrasting_flavors

Cornflour-based pancakes fried and smothered in cheese make the perfect dinner party snack.

Torticas de Morón from Cuba by We Are Cocina

@bobsredmill

These buttery shortbread cookies with a tangy lime twist are begging to be dunked in some warm milk or tea.

Tostones from The Dominican Republic by Dominican Cooking

@letseatcuisine

Deep-fried carbs fit any mood, but these in particular pair idyllically with a garlic parsley dip or some seasoned rice.

Locro de Papa from Ecuador by My Normal Gay Life

My Normal Gay Life

The soul-soothing potato-based soup tastes so good, your guests will have no idea how easy it was to make.

Llapingachos from Ecuador by My Food And Family

@obsfoods

The indulgent, creamy pancakes have a basis of crunchy potatoes blended with cheese, then fried and dunked in a savory peanut sauce.

Pupusa from El Salvador by The Curious Chickpea

The Curious Chickpea

This fluffy, bean-stuffed masa cake topped with fermented vegetables tastes so good, you won't believe it's actually super healthy, too.

Chilles Rellenos from Guatemala by Growing Up Bilingual

Growing Up Bilingual

These deep-fried sweet peppers stuffed with your choice of filling are made even more indulgent with the creamy tomato sauce you'll drizzle on top. Pair with some seasoned rice to make it a complete meal.

Rosquillas from Honduras by Casa Comida

@miletabond

A fluffy, cookie-like pastry made from corn flour, rosquillas are a naturally gluten-free sweet-salty snack lover's dream.

Pan de Coco from Honduras by Artisan Bryan

@madrehelga.mx

These dough, fluffy balls are a coconut lover's dream

Red Chilaquiles from Mexico by Mexico In My Kitchen

Mexico In My Kitchen

The beloved Mexican breakfast dish has been replicated many times over, but this recipe, in particular, is super authentic, right down to the seasonings and Mexican cream.

Sopa de Fiedo from Mexico by Mexican Food Journal

Mexican Food Journal

Creamy, tangy, and rich, this soup has an incredible depth of flavors with just a handful of ingredients you probably already have at home.

Gallo Pinto from Nicaragua by Casa Blanca Cooks

Casa Blanca Cooks

A traditional rice and beans dish eaten for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in Nicaragua, it's all about the seasonings with this one, often paired with eggs or steak and topped with cotija or a drizzle of tangy crema.

Papa a la Huancaína from Peru by Peru Delights

Peru Delights

Soft potatoes smothered in a luxuriously creamy yet spicy cheese sauce, topped with an egg, you'd be crazy not to lick the plate — plus, you'll find yourself pairing the addictive sauce with nearly everything that comes out of your kitchen.

Patatas Bravas from Spain by Spain On A Fork

Spain On A Fork

Probably everyone's go-to tapas dish at any Spanish restaurant or bar, this recipe, in particular, has a spicy brava sauce so good, you may want to double that part of the recipe.

Churros from Spain by Spanish Sabores

Spanish Sabores

The crispy, fried dough is so dangerously easy to whip in a couple of minutes, once you learn the recipe, you'll have to physically restrain yourself from making it all the time.

Hallacas from Venezuela by Que Rica Vida

@hallacas.bogota

The preparation and ingredients of tamales vary in every region — Venezuelan hallacas are renowned for their tender filling, filled with a plethora of spices from cumin to cooking red wine served on fragrant plantain leaves.