The Importance Of Hispanic Heritage Month

It's Hispanic Heritage Month and this is why it is important to acknowledge it and celebrate it appropriately.

139

Hispanic Heritage Month is from September 15 to October 15. A month full of celebrations, appreciations, and lots of fun events if you are from Arizona State University.

According to American FactFinder, "The Hispanic population of the United States as of July 1, 2016, making people of Hispanic origin the nation's largest ethnic or racial minority. Hispanics constituted 17.8 percent of the nation's total population."

That's A LOT. Seventeen-point-eight percent might not seem like a lot, but it is. This is why it's important to appreciate and embrace the Hispanic culture.

The Hispanic countries that are celebrated include Mexico, Uruguay, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Argentina, and so many more.

Not only do you celebrate the countries, but also everything within the country that makes it unique.

The food, the music, the dances they dance, the way they speak. It's all important because that's what makes that country one of a kind and contributes to the colorful culture that makes the Hispanic Culture.

Personally, I am BEYOND proud of my culture.

Why? Because like I have stated before, those characteristics and my culture make me me.

I sing along to that music, I dance those dances. I eat those foods. I speak that language and dialect.

And I'm damn proud of it.

Everyone should be proud of it because your culture, just like mine, makes us who we are.

Might as well do it with pride. Especially when people identify you that way most of the time.

Sometimes your culture will be appreciated and respected, and other times you might get talked down on. Whether or not you decide to defend your culture, and defend who you are, that is up to you.

Just mark my words, I will ALWAYS be proud.

For those of you that go to Arizona State University, here is a list of a couple events to go to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month!

- Diablxs Unidxs: Una Celebración de la Herencia | Friday, Sep. 14, 2018, 11:00 A.M. - 1 P.M.

- Fiestas Patrias | Delph Courtyard | Thursday, Sep. 13, 2018 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

- "Coco" Film & Discussion | Health North, Room 110 Downtown Phoenix | Friday, Sep. 14, 2018 6:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.

- Cafe y Pan | Backus Mall North (Polytechnic Campus) | Tuesday, Sep. 18, 2018 11:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.

- Salsa y Salsa | Cooley Ballrooms (Polytechnic Campus) | Tuesday, Sep. 25, 2018 7:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.

- "The Battle for Paradise" Documentary & Discussion | Student Center @ Post Office, Black Canyon Room, L1-12 | Monday, Oct. 1, 2018 | 6:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.

- Designing While Being Latinx | Design North, Room 68 (Tempe) | Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018 | 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.

And more events like these can be found on Hispanic Heritage Month events!