You Know You're A Hiker When...

You Know You're A Hiker When...

Conquering mountains is your hobby.

68
You Know You're A Hiker When...
Nicole Baker

The cool, morning air, the fresh fragrance of pine trees, the far off call of birds. All you need is a backpack and your boots. You just started walking, but already you feel your legs leaping at the chance to roam. Your lungs fill with air and you are free. Hiking is what you do, but are you a real hiker? Here are some signs you fit the bill.

You carry liters of water everywhere you go. This one's a no-brainer. Hydration is vital. You may look silly now, finding places to put all your REI water bottles. But no one will be laughing when you're feeling cool and relaxed while everyone else is overheated and thirsty. You never know what's ahead, but you're always prepared.

You bring a backpack to every event possible. Work? You're gonna need it. The grocery store? Yep. Your aunt's wedding? Obviously! And whose going to be prepared if the roads close or the power goes out, or if you need snacks pronto? You will. Plus, that 30 pound backpack will give you some nice back muscles.

You can't stop talking about your hikes. Beware, innocent bystanders who dare ask the question "how was your weekend," for you will hear all the exciting stories which took place. For instance, people must know that you summited Mt. Bandera, or saw a Whiskey Jack at Lake 22. Others, Instagram pics of their meals, you post pictures of jaw dropping scenery. It also doesn't hurt to subtly brag about your athletic bod.

You use hikes as a way to relax and workout. Nothing like the serenity of nature to take your mind off of the stuff you have to do. Not to mention building up strength in your body is good for your overall health. Who doesn't want to experience mountaintop views that leave you breathless?

You try to sneak your hiking gear into your daily attire. You wear your boots and jacket anytime you step outside. You match your sweat-resistant shirt with your water-proof pants to add a stylish feel. You rock the outdoorsy look without even trying, and everyone loves it.

Lastly, you are definitely a true hiker if...

You encourage others to hike too. Since you have discovered this world of hiking, it is your job to depart your knowledge upon the common people. You wish for them to experience the same joy you get by traversing through nature. It's how you bond with dear friends, and how you get your family out of the house.

So if any of the scenarios above situate with you, if your diet revolves around cliff bars or you never leave the house without a pair of good boots, you may be a hiker.

So enjoy it.