From High School Sweet Hearts To College Lovers

My personal experience of finding love at a young age, and my advice to any other young love birds.

73

Finding love at a young age can be exhilarating, and terrifying all at the same time. It began like every new relationship does, by meeting, catching each others eye, and pushing to get to know each other. As you grow to like each other more, you enter the "honeymoon stage" of the relationship. In which the relationship is filled with pure love and fun to fulfill the time. Your heart is filled with pleasure, and your tummy fills with butterflies as you adventure and experience new things with your partner. Creating the best memories ever, and slowly falling more in love every day.

Whilst having all the happiness in the world, and preaching to everyone of how you will marry this person one day, you will always have one person who will tell you, "you're too young" or "you do not even know what love is yet". You do not have to listen to them, listen to your heart.

As time will go on, things will change. You will get to know each other better, you will learn the small things that no one would ever notice about their appearance or personality. You will begin to bicker about things you never even worried about, and you will slowly learn what ticks the other person off. You will discover the ugly and gross, but it will only make you love them more. Being young and finding love, you learn many things about dealing with others and many things about yourself. When time passes, and you grow together with a person you may find yourself troubled at times.

Sometimes, you or your partner may feel saddened or that you are both missing out on their best years to be single. When this occurs, you must remember to remind yourself of the gift you will gain by standing by this love. And some days, you may fight like crazy people... but you mustn't let that be the down fall of the relationship. There is a saying that you fight with those you love the most, now I am not saying you should stick by someone who hurts you physically or mentally, but the silly arguments or bickers over fear of losing someone is common. Take a step back if this happens, talk to your partner. Sit down and see how you can fix this.

Along with silly little fights and learning each others likes and dislike, High school relationships also tend to be followed by drama, and my partner and I definitely endured this, but as we grew and began our college journey those problems dissolved and new ones occurred. Fears of partying and cheating may flood your mind, but again sitting down and talking about the situation and your feelings will help to resolve the situation. Of course, with the few troubles that come along with long term relationships dealing when dealing with young lovers, there are also many glorious things about these types of relationships.

You found a person you enjoy being around, and whether they are your soul mate or not, you are given the opportunity to grow with a person. To have a best friend and lover all in one. No matter what struggles may come your way, true love will prevail. Now I am not a professional on love, and I am myself still a person who is young, but I have loved...deeply and with out holding back. I have loved the same boy since my sophomore year in high school, and as we continue on our journey through college there are a few things to remember. For a relationship to prevail, both partners must remember to keep the others feelings on the same level of importance as their own. You should always communicate with your partner, and you should remember the good moments in times of bad.

No relationship will be perfect, but with love, compassion, and communication it will persevere. Both partners must never give up hope, and never stop trying to love each other. Now I do not know if I will marry my high school sweetheart as we have much more time to learn and grow with life before that time can come. But to know that I put every ounce of love and effort into my relationship, I know that I will either one day tell my children the story of the boy I loved, or I will tell them the story of how their father, was my high school sweetheart and we beat the odds. We showed everyone that we were not too young.

No matter what happens though, I will appreciate and cherish the love I was able to give and receive at such a young age, because finding a love like this is in itself a gift.