I Went From A High Schooler Stoked About College To A College Kid...Still Stoked About College

It's actually all it's cracked up to be.

210
Bethany Grace

For everyone who has known me growing up, this article just solidifies what I was looking forward to all up until the day I moved off to college. Sure, of course, I miss home and my sweet family that supports me like no one else ever will, but God has blessed me and put me where I am for so many reasons and it's going great.

So much has happened in the past two years of my life. It's actually crazy. In high school, I was the girl that could not wait to get graduate and get to college. Yes, that's everyone at some point, but I was annoying about it.

I had a countdown from the time I finished my junior year until the day I walked across that stage and received my diploma. I was ready to move on to something that was new and to a place where I could start fresh. College was exactly that for me. Yes. Sometimes I do miss small things about high school, but overall, I wouldn't trade where I'm at for anything.

I can honestly say that college was everything and more than I expected it to be.

I've learned more life lessons in two years than I had in any of my years of high school, or any part of growing up. But, I guess it makes sense. It's a part of getting older and moving away from home. The freedom and even more responsibility that comes with this part of life are great, but I've learned how to use my time more wisely since I'm more in charge of my own schedule and that procrastination doesn't always allow an okay outcome.

Even though this is almost always the case, yes, college is everything it is cracked up to be.

And I'm so thankful for that. Coming to Georgia Southern and immediately surrounding myself with people that have helped me grow has been the number one reason that I have had the best college experience so far. Whether it's Greek Life, CRU or the Music Program, so many people have helped mold my thoughts, decisions and the way I go about my day to day life, all in the best of ways. Sure, I have struggled a bunch and yes, even made some poor choices, but don't we all?

At first, I would beat myself up when I would mess up, but I soon learned that all we can do is learn from our mistakes and grow through them. And we can't help what other people think of us. (Preaching to myself with that one.)

College is more than sitting in the classroom. Yes, the school part is so important and the main reason that we are here, but the late nights with friends, the many meals at Cook-Out, the bonfires, the Sunday mornings and long drives on Sunday afternoons, that's what it's about. These are the times that you'll remember.

So, if you aren't in college yet, don't rush where you're at, but you have some great years to look forward to. And if you're currently in college, soak up every second and take in everything. I am so glad I still have two more years before the "real-world" and I can't wait to take every opportunity to make the best of it.