10 Lessons I Wish I Knew In High School

10 Lessons I Wish I Knew In High School

Spoiler alert: "High School Musical" didn't prepare you for this.

2
Personal Photo

Everyone has a vision of how they imagine their high school experience. When you're younger, it probably looks like a scene from "High School Musical" but, once you're in high school, you know that is the furthest thing from the truth.

The truth is, high school will be so much better than you imagined and yet at times so much worse. Now to save you the trouble, here are a few things I learned in high school so you don't have to.

1. Your grades matter but don't stress about it too much.

2. Don't be afraid to change. 

When you enter high school, you're only 14 or 15 years old. At this age, you're still young and have a lot to learn, so you're going to change. High school is the time, for you to go out, find out what you like and learn what you want to be.

3. Form relationships with your teachers.

Forming relationships with your teachers is one of the most important things you can do, and so many students fail to do this. The most obvious answer for this is because one day you're going to need recommendation letters and you want it to be a good one —make sure it comes from a teacher who knows you. Another is your teachers have been in your shoes, too. They know what you're going through so, listen to them. They are only trying to help you.

4. Spend time with your family.

I can not stress this one enough—spend time with your family. High school is the last step before you are on your own and it'll go by quicker than you think, so spend time with your family while you can.

5. The friends you enter high school with won't be the ones you leave with. 

Everyone will tell you this so just like you're going to change your friends will, too. It's a natural occurrence for friends to drift apart after entering high school. Take advantage of this and try to make some new friends. Say hi to the kid sitting next to you in biology or join a club where you can meet people with your same interests.

6. Attend all the school events you can. 

It sounds cliche, but high school goes by quick. So right now, you might think it's lame to go to all the pep rallies, sporting events, and even homecoming. Just remember, you only get so many of these experiences because high school doesn't last forever —make them count.

7. Relationships come and go.

So many people emphasize relationships in high school. I get it everyone wants that teen rom-com love story but don't lose sight of what's important. Relationships will come and go during these four years. Don't let that sidetrack you from your goals.

8. C's get degrees. 

Here's something that a lot of people don't tell you in high school: your GPA doesn't define you. I will be the first to say, in high school, I got my share of "bad" grades. That's okay. There's very little you can do to change that so learn from it and move on. If you are worried that this grade will be the one thing stopping you from going to college, don't. I can safely say it won't.

9. Always put yourself first. 

No matter the circumstance, put yourself first.

10. Enjoy it.

High school is only four years. Right now that may seem like forever but, it's not. Before you know it it'll be senior year, and you're in line to hear your name called at graduation. Enjoy every moment of it. You won't be able to go back and do it all again, so get it right the first time. Spend your Friday nights under the stadium lights cheering on your team, dress up for spirit days, go on spontaneous adventures with friends and enjoy those family dinners.