A Love Letter to My High School Guy Friends

It's hard to find a close group of girl friends. But what's even harder is having a close group of guys. I was one of the lucky ones; I've known you guys from biology class, from red Solo cups in New Jersey basements, from sunny summer weekends in LBI, from white and brown caps soaring through the sunset-stained sky at graduation.

In college, you're expected to make these life-long friends, to forge ground-breaking connections with both guys and girls. And of course, I've met some incredible people. But I've realized that, for the most part, guys in college don't want to be "just friends".

These new friends and new experiences have made me appreciate my high school guy friends so much more. Here's to you and why I love you.

1. You're Always There

When I come home to New Jersey each summer, I know you'll be there, looking to play video games in sweatpants or having a backyard BQQ with cases of Bud Light. But it's so much more than that. You're there to listen about my new internship, my frat boy heartbreak. You're there at 3am if I need a friend, if I need a movie buddy, if I need to escape my own thoughts and replace them with mozzarella-covered disco fries.

2. We Really Talk

I have two or three really close girl friends, but I've realized that for the most part, girls are hard to talk to. The conversations are surface-level, revolving around guys and looks on repeat. With you guys, we skip the small talk. We talk about our dreams, our families, our heartbreaks, our successes. I know you want to be a lawyer, to go to med school, to have a family, to be happy. It's real, simply because we care about each other.

3. It's Always an Adventure

If I want to drive up to Mountain Creek Waterpark, if I want to go on a hike, or if I want to have a beach day at the Jersey shore, I call you guys. We've danced at Sweet 16s and shuffled at EDM music festivals. I love that, no matter what, you're always down for an adventure.

4. You Love Me for Me

I'll never forget walking to your car, dancing and singing, and you saying, "I love that you're so completely you." You've seen me in sweatpants and high heels, laughing with the world and screaming at its injustices. I know that, around you guys, I can be my caffeinated, book-loving, Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-singing, work-obsessed self. I couldn't ask for a better group of guy friends.

I can't wait to see where life takes us.

Love *cracks a beer*,

Me