An Open Letter To High School Students

An Open Letter To High School Students

Here's to making high school worth it.

18
An Open Letter To High School Students
Instagram

This is a new chapter in your life. It’s going to be a challenge and you’re going to struggle and have to overcome obstacles, but it’s an exciting time. You learn who your true friends are, what you want to do, and who you are as a person. Just remember a few things

Remember to Love

Now I say this because sometimes we forget. We forget about how others feel and our impact on them. Go out of your way that much more. Don’t be that person that is uptight and “exclusive” and is so one way that they forget about everyone else. Be everyone’s friend because you have no idea the influence that you are. And remember to appreciate all human beings and how they feel, high school is hard and you don’t know the hardships that people have masked up. Say hello, or even wave, you might just make someone’s day, that much better.

These are my friends, they remind me that love can make that much of a difference in someone's life.

Remember to Learn

Remember to learn, and not only in the case of reading books and studying for exams, because you should do that too, but open up your eyes and learn about the world. Experience life to the fullest extent you can as a teenager, but be responsible. Think before you speak. Think before you post that picture. Don’t do something you know is wrong. Learn when to walk away from someone. Whether it's romantically or personally. Learn to walk away from things that you don’t want to experience. Your opinion matters and if people judge you for yours, then they are not who you should associate yourself with.

Remember your Family

It seems almost stupid to say this but remember them. Remember all that your parents have given you and done for you to get to this point in your life. Appreciate them because you don’t have forever. You don’t want to look back and ask why you hated them for simply loving you and wanting you to succeed. Visit your family, mend ties, be kind. You don’t choose your family and they were given to you for a reason, so find out that reason and love them for it. Everyone’s family is different, some more personable and open then others but remember to always have respect for them. Watch what you do and say in front of adults. Your friend’s parents can, a lot of the times, become your friend too, but remember that they still deserve your utmost respect and love, so just be aware.

My family is the best. But then again I am a little bias.

Remember to Grow

High school is full of temptation and influential people and you are going to make mistakes and get in fights and have regrets, but remember to not get so caught up in it and grow up some time along the way. High school is said to be “the worst four years of your life” but it doesn’t have to be. Sure, it can be hard but if you look back and realize that you were the same inappropriate, immature, and self-absorbed person throughout all four years of high school, you are going to hate yourself and the experience. Don’t be so materialistic. Be generous. Get a job. Help out your parents. Learn the value of a dollar. Take these four years to actually prepare for the real world. Think of the future instead of worrying about the parties this weekend. Become someone that you will be proud of.

Remember Yourself

This is probably the most important one of all. Remember who you are even if you don’t know who that is. Stay in once a while. Watch a movie. Read a book. Learn to love being with yourself. Remember your faith and how you got to where you are. Realize your value and remember your worth. Have morals and don’t be ashamed of them. Don’t do something just because “everyone else is doing it.” Nobody can make you do anything you don’t want to. Stay safe, in more ways than one. Don’t fall into a situation that you can’t get out of. Being in a relationship, a proper relationship, can be a beautiful thing. To be in love and truly care about someone else is a rare thing, but know when to step back and look at the whole picture. Do not let anyone take your value or ruin any experience. You deserve the best and someone that can be there to share it with.

Learn to be happy. It may take a little while but it is possible, I promise.

Try to remember these things because you should enjoy these years and cherish the memories you make. My high school experience was anything but ideal and if I went back I probably would have changed a few things, but through all of the hardship and obstacles, it has made me who I am and that is something that I would never change.