Why High School Is Not The Best Four Years Of Your Life

You've probably heard: "Ahh, the glory days," or "You'll want to go back to those years," or "Some of the best years of my life." Not true.

4714
The Atlantic

I remember being 14 and so incredibly excited to start my freshman year of high school. All of the adults in my life—my mom's friends, parents of my own friends, random adults my dad worked with—they all told me how amazing high school was and how it would truly be the "best four years of my life." "Hold on to those memories," they said, "You'll miss those days."

Now as a college freshman on spring break, I am back in good ole' Indiana in my small, homey town of Highland. On my first day back home, I made an atypical decision to go and visit a few of my teachers at my high school. While having some wonderful conversations with the three teachers that had an astounding impact on my life, I realized that although high school wasn't necessarily terrible, it definitely wasn't and would not be the best four years of my life.

High school is a wonderful time but it's also an awful time. These years are packed with thousands of puberty stricken and emotional, hormonal messes. It's not fun to be around that nor is it fun to be going through it yourself. A majority of people in high school are judgmental; as high school kids that affects us more than we know. We feel like we can't be who we are because it's never good enough for someone else. In four years, we become so focused on who we can get to like us and what drama we can get ourselves in and out of.

There are so many ups and downs throughout high school and for some reason while you're in it, anything and everything seems like the end of the world.

If you're reading this while still a freshman through senior in high school, I bring good news. That boy that crushed your heart last month or will crush it in three months, will not matter in a year-- at all. It's going to hurt like hell right now but it will be so insignificant. The history test you got an F on? That doesn't matter either; believe me. The group of girls that decided to cut you off completely? Again, doesn't matter. Kids who bullied you, called you worthless, pushed you down until you couldn't get back up again—they really really do not matter.

Not letting these things get to you is much easier said than done, I know. I was there. But as a high school student, you have to make the most of this rollercoaster of a time. Focus on your passions; whether that be theater, basketball, student council, Spanish club, or the newspaper committee. Keep working and do a lot of work. Study hard for your classes and your ACT. Pay attention to your GPA and not whether your eyeliner wing was on point that day. Make the most of each day because although this won't be the "best four years of your life," they are important to your growth as a person and they truly are a much simpler time compared to what you have coming.

Keep your head up. Remember that once you get to college, no one knows who you were in high school. They don't care if you were a jock, a nerd, the person who threw up at prom, or the valedictorian. You have a whole new blank slate to start with. You're on your own, get to make independent decisions, meet the best friends of your life, and finally have the courage to do things you were too scared you'd get judged for in high school.

So no, high school is not the best four years of your life. Believe me, the best years of your life are ahead of you.