Hidden Athens, Ga Gems

Hidden Athens, Ga Gems

Our town might seem small, but it's got a lot to offer, check it out before you graduate!

1727
Hidden Athens, Ga Gems

We live and really cool place, full of arts and culture, and sadly, a lot of what Athens has to offer goes unnoticed. One the flip side of that, the great thing is that they are unnoticed! Our college town is also a town separate from the university and it has some great secrets and hidden gems to offer! Before you graduate and maybe never come back, get to know the cool town that is Athens, Georgia and really use all the resources it has to offer to enrich your life. College towns, in general, will always be a fond memory in our lives, seek out the best of it!

1. K.A. Artist Shop:

This quirky art stop on North Jackson street has gone unnoticed by myself for years, but now is gateway to a new and creative source for our college town! I first learned about this cool art shop through Instagram, drawn in by minimalist white contrasting bright, alluring colors. This shop offers classes each month in a wide range of principals, as well as has open gallery showings and designs available for purchase at kaartist.com. I have done the creative journaling and as a participant, I have to say it's the perfect way to spend a Sunday nursing a hangover -- just a little soul searching and relaxation! http://kaartist.com/

2. UGA Chapel:

OK, so I am an huge art history nerd, which most people say is the most boring class offered in Lamar Dodd, but I love it and it is pretty cool to say that our own UGA Chapel houses the world's largest oil painting! The painting depicts St. Peter's Basilica, was painted by George Cooke and spans 17 by 23.5 ft. The painting was presented in 1867, badly damaged by a fire and restored recently by a local artist, Walter Frobos and his daughter. So if you are in any way interested in art or history, go check out the chapel on North Campus.

3. Tree top room:

The Tree Room is on Tracy Street and was a warehouse once used as cotton storage. Unfortunately/fortunately a fire in the early 1900s burned the roof off the building, which now is a roof entirely made of tree canopy. This space is now used for special events and is most unknown by people of Athens. It is so special because of its unique, unknowingly quality, like a little piece of paradise no one else knows about.

4. See the stars onto of the Physics building:

It is little known fact (except amongst the physics majors who painfully spend hours in that building) that on top of the physics building is an observatory! Star gazing is a extremely simple yet surreal experience, and has a nonsensical way of being alarming yet relaxing. The observatory houses a 24-inch microscope and hold many open houses available to the public. Visit their website and check the calendar here.

5. HiLo Lounge, Normal Bar:

Cool local bars you probably haven't heard of, these spots are filled with culture. I am sure the bars on clayton and broad street get a ton of your business, but take a step outside the "norm" at try some Normaltown bars for a more mature, laid-back, glass (or two) of wine before bed kind of environment. Also has a dog friendly open air patio so feel free to bring along man's best friend

6. Under the train tracks:

If you want a cool Insta, I advise going to a beaten path under the train tracks near Pulaski St. Athens is a town rich in an interesting culture, let the artist in you benefit from the art of others and get some cool pics.

7. Athens Farmer Market:

This is a attraction I am so surprised I haven't been able to experience yet, but makes a ton of sense, because Athens is surrounded by miles of agricultural land outside and even inside the UGA campus limits. With all the farmers, locally grown products are organic, vegan, homegrown and promote our local economy. It is set up Wednesday afternoons from 4 P.M. to 7 P.M. at Creature Comforts Brewery and Sunday mornings from 8 A.M. to 12 P.M. at Bishop Park from April to mid-December. Cool fact: Our farmers market was named "The South's Best Farmers' Markets" by Southern Living Magazine.

8. Jittery Joe's Roaster:

I am sure all of us Athenians have heard of Jittery Joe's Coffee and as a student, I know you have, because Jittery Joe's has kept all awake in the MLC. What is little known about this coffee company is that it was founded in Athens and connected in various ways to the 40 Watt Club. The coffee company has some cool music connections that came with the 40 Watt as well, welcome guests such as REM and the B-52's for a late night cup of joe. The local roaster is close by and is dawned with original gritty decor, so go study, grab a cup and even get a behind the scenes tour about how it is made.

9. The Graduate Spa:

When it comes to hotels in Athens, the Graduate seems to take home the win in quality, coming head to head with Hotel Indigo. The Graduate is a boutique hotel with the coolest spin on decor that welcomes you back to the glory days of college life, circa 1950/60s. Not only does its bright color, modern touches and comically accurate art work provide a fulfilling experience, it is also attached to the Foundry, once called the Melting Point. This venue offers live local musicians and bands, weekly. Also important, it has an open spa! Hello, have a "treat yo self" day and book an appointment on their website here!

10. Girls gotta eat: As you know, there are a plethora of restaurants in Athens, some more well-known and "mainstream," if you will, than others. Here's a list to check out that are kitschy, unique and more importantly, serve a mean meal.

White Tiger (must try!)

Tlaloc

World Famous (stays open till 2 A.M.! Order the chicken and waffles.)

Seabear

Independent Baking Co.

Little Kings

The Old Pal (cocktail connoisseurs welcome)

Automatic Pizza

Food for the Soul

Condor Chocolates

The Daily Co-op (good to-go order sammies for picnics)

10: Other honorable mentions: Bear Hallow Zoo, State Botanical Gardens, 40 Watt Club, Georgia Theater, Double Dutch Press Printing, Creature Comfort Brewery, Pulaski Heights BBQ, Georgia Museum of Art, The Tree that Owns Itself, Wuxtry Records