Don't Rush Your College Years, But Do Rush A Sorority
College Greek

Joining Greek life is highly recommended!

361
Erica Schimel

At my school, we can only rush as freshman second semester. Therefore, I had a plentiful amount of time to think whether I wanted to join Greek life or not.

Going into college, I never wanted to be a part of something like that. I was always against people in sororities and fraternities — I didn't see the good in it. However, when the time came to rush, I decided to go through the recruitment process. It didn't mean I have to join if I didn't want to.

It was a more of a "dip your toes into the waters" kind of a thing.

Being open-minded and going through the recruitment process was one of the best decisions I ever made. I loved every minute of it, even though it consisted of standing on your feet for like eight hours in a row and nonstop conversation. If I never pushed myself to go through with it, I would never have found my best friends.

Joining a sorority could seem really nerve-wracking and intimidating, but if you find the house for you, it feels like you have always been part of the family. I will never forget on Bid Day running to my new home. I mean, my friend fell as we were running, so I definitely won't forget that.

My advice if you are like me and hated everything about Greek life, just go through the recruitment process open-minded and then decide whether it is for you or not.

It's OK if it's not and it's OK if it is. I have met so many people by just going through rush, and I am excited to keep meeting new people. I love my sorority so much, I decided to run for the executive board and now I am V.P. Social and Risk Management.

You never know where you will find happiness.

Thank you AEPHI for everything. Thank you for the memories and the memories that are yet to be made. Thank you for my funny, smart, caring, and inspiring sisters. Thank you for always being there for me, and motivating me. LML.