Here's Why You Should Be Watching 'The Great British Bake Off'

It's because of cake.

22

Summer is upon us, and as the long months of humidity, fruit flies and the wafting scent of rotting garbage approach, you'll be needing a break from the sweltering humdrum of everyday life. Like most modern and internet savvy people, you'll probably choose some form of online binge watching as your escape. I'm sure many of your friends, family members and vague Facebook acquaintances have firm opinions on what you should watch. After all, this isn't a decision to be taken lightly: the show in question may be the one that you apathetically watch from amongst your pillows, not really gripped, but also just interested enough to let the next episode play automatically as the night marches towards dawn.

So with the heft of this choice in mind, I ask you to trust me -- nay, to entrust me -- with this all-important choice. There should be no debate, waffling or hesitations. The next show you watch should be "The Great British Bake Off." And here's why.

It's the most delightfully British thing on the face of the planet. The contestants gather together each weekend in a tent on the grounds of an English manor in a county most likely ending with "shire," which is basically nine tenths of England itself. The weekend generally consists of rain, contestants crouched down in front of ovens with worried expressions on their faces, rain, last minute panicky placing of syrups and/or decorations, rain, contestants drinking tea, and most importantly, rain.

If that wasn't twee enough to convince you -- and believe me, it should be -- fear not, for I am not done. The show is hosted by Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, whose jobs, as far as I can tell, mainly consist of making food based puns and sampling the bakes. Nice work if you can get it. As someone who makes a fairly large amount of bad puns and likes desserts, I think I may have found my calling.

There's also two judges, three rounds of different challenges and tons of contestants straight from central casting. My feelings and opinions on all of them are really far too detailed to go into, but suffice it to say that there is a contestant named Norman who is absolutely the most adorable little old man in the world, and another named Jordan who will be making cameo appearances in your nightmares.

But if everything else isn't enough to tempt you, here's the main reason you should be watching this show: the bakes. Seriously: it is a baking show, so there are no salads, no poultry or side dishes or fruit platters or any of that nonsense. Instead, it's bread, cake, doughnuts, pattiserie, biscuits. Last season they had a chocolate week -- chocolate!

Seriously -- this ridiculously cool dragon is made entirely out of cookies. That's a villainous creature I can get behind. Especially since he can be demolished with a glass of milk and an empty stomach.

Even when bakes don't work out, they still look delicious. I present to you exhibit A: Dorret's collapsed cake. Her mousse didn't set in time, which obviously wasn't great and she was crying and everybody felt really bad. But look at this cake:

Be honest with yourself: you would still eat this cake. With a serving spoon. Off of the floor. This cake looks amazing, and she made the truffles from scratch. Let's face it: that cake probably tastes better than all of our birthday cakes rolled into one, and it's the sort of chocolate perfection we mere mortals simply can't expect.

A fair warning that this entire show is basically one massive food cue. If you're trying to keep the weight off, it's probably best just to avoid, avoid, avoid. Because you will eat while you watch this show: there's no way to avoid it. Sure, it will be a handful of sad sandwich cookies as you watch the contestants make their own puff pastry, or a slice of frozen pizza while they all make lemon drizzle cakes, but you'll still be eating.

This show will also convince you that you can totally bake all of these things yourself, as long as you have a can-do attitude and the right amount of butter (which is probably around ten pounds per item, judging by what I've seen). But you can't. I don't say this to clip your wings or to make you feel inadequate, just to try and hit home how easy they all make these challenges look. My bread didn't look rustic at all -- more sadly homeless. And lavender infused, honeycomb topped mini cakes are actually not something that any actual person can make. Trust me.

There is one other reason you should be watching this show. Yes, the food is amazing-- the forays into bread baking will make you feel like an uber capable and chic home baker-- the puns are exquisite. But the main reason you should watch this show is because it is the ultimate in feel-good. I promise. As Americans, we have become accustomed to the lowest of the low in cooking shows: judges who spend eighty percent of the episode screaming and the other twenty percent spitting food out and declaring, "Raw," close up shots of wilting arugula, and of course, contestants who are so staggeringly rude and competitive that you feel actual fear.

None of that exists on Bake Off. The judges never scream, and the most frightening thing you'll hear them say is, "That's underbaked." The contestants are actual decent humans who are nice to each other and there is zero drama on this show. That is to say, there's zero manufactured drama, because when you're waiting to see if someone's bread has risen enough, you're definitely holding your breath. The show is just so wholesome. Well, not the food obviously, but that's part of the whole appeal.

So if you're looking for some TV show to suck you into the black hole that is binge watching, if you're willing to sacrifice those precious hours of sleep and most of your sanity, choose Bake Off. Queue up the first season on Netflix, grab your sweats and a tub of ice cream (or, if you're feeling particularly handy, your tower of eclairs) and get comfy.