A Letter To The Future

A Letter To The Future

I was once terrified of you, but you're showing me that you're not so bad.

24
A Letter To The Future
Arty Girls Adventure Club

Dear Future,

Why are you so scary? It is a universal fact that you are unpredictable. There's no way of knowing what you hold in store for any of us, like what kind of things we will experience, the different places we may end up, and who will be around in our lives.

A part of me feels like I'm not ready for you.

I don't know what it is, and I can't really explain it. It could be fear, it could be anxiety, it could be denial... it could be a combination of all those emotions. I understand that everyone has to accept that the future is coming, regardless of what it holds in store for us. Why, then, do I feel like it shouldn't apply to me?

I like familiarity. Change can be so scary.

Things in my life are going so well; they're actually looking up! For so long, I felt like I was in a hole that I would never get out of. I believed that I'd just be getting through life without really living, but there have been many great things happening for me lately. I'm starting to feel happiness again that I'm afraid everything will get all messed up.

But then I realize...

Everything I have and everything I am is because of you.

Let me elaborate – if you think about it, I wouldn't be this person (aka me) without embracing the future. Sticking myself in the past would have prevented me from growing into who I am today. It's kind of trippy when you think about it, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

You hold so many opportunities for me.

Career-wise, love-life-wise, life-in-general-wise! I feel that I'm slowly learning to welcome you. I was once terrified of you, but you're showing me that you're not so bad.

I can't wait to see what you have coming next.

Like waiting for the release of a new season of my favorite show or reading the sequel to a great book, there's a certain type of adrenaline attached to it. I've learned that unfamiliarity shouldn't be seen as scary; it's actually quite exciting!

Please be good to me.

The past has given me so many ups and downs that I definitely have learned from, but I just hope that what you have in store is more up than down. I like to think that I have some control over what will happen to me, but I'm a stronger believer in the fact that everything happens for a reason. The life that I'm meant to lead is already laid out for me; I just need to follow that path.

I look forward to meeting you because, a few years from now, I'll be able to look back to this point in time and think about all the things and all the people I was missing before you came into my life.

Thanks in advance, homie.

Seriously,

A Girl Who's Ready For You