Here is my first college update

My First College Update

I recently just started my first week at the University of Virginia and I absolutely love it.

29
My First College Update
Sakyra Abbitt

Realizing that I was actually about to endure this whole "college thing" really hit hard.

To be completely honest, the University of Virginia has been treating me very well. However, I will admit that the first night of realization that I actually have to live on my own really hit me harder than ever. After my parents left me, I remember sitting at my desk and staring into space for about an hour. At that moment, I honestly became mad at the world. The only thing I wanted to do was call my parents and tell them to come and pick me up. Nonetheless, I continued to ignore the negatives thoughts that kept occurring in my head and decided to get myself together (finally).

I made so many new friends SO fast and So easily!

I can honestly say that the one thing I was worried about was making new friends in college. I never really had a lot of friends in high-school and the thought of having to start all over really gave me an uneasy feeling. However, I am proud to say that making friends in college is so much easier than it seems. Everyone is in the same boat, and nobody knows anybody. Therefore, I have learned that just going up to people and saying your name really makes a huge difference. Not only are my roommate and I super close already, but I have made many friends within' my dorm hall as well. Making friends in college is definitely easier than high-school. If you are in high-school worried about making friends in college...here is a little trick that works almost all of the time. Ask a random person their name, and also ask them what they plan to study or major in. I guarantee that you will instantly start forming a conversation and most likely you will either exchange numbers or social media handles by the end of the conversation. Instant friendship!

I have already started practicing self care and stress management.

Welcome weekend at the University of Virginia is very stressful and very overwhelming. There are so many events and mandatory meetings that all first years must attend. Not to mention the parties that you are technically "obligated" to attend if you want to be seen as the "ideal college student." However, with so many events going on I constantly reminded myself to only attend mandatory meetings and other events that interested me. I am not saying that I did not have fun, I am only saying that I made sure to do only what my body and mind could handle. I also made sure not to overwhelm myself with things that were not necessary to attend. To be completely honest on my second night of "partying," I left the party around 9:00 and went back to my room to get into bed and watch Netflix. I knew that I would much rather be in bed than at a party, so that is exactly what I did. I truly believe that listening to my mind and body is going to play an essential role during my time at college.

All is well.

My short time at college so far has been amazing. I enjoy meeting new people, taking interesting classes, and all of the independence that comes with it. I am super excited to see where UVA is going to take me within' the next nine months.

Please, wish me luck (;