Hello College, Hello 2017

Hello College, Hello 2017

Because this eighteen year old deserves a good year.

21
Hello College, Hello 2017
Sebastian Sanchez

When I was little, I wrote myself down a life checklist. I wrote down my goals of graduating college, becoming a lawyer, and planning my mother’s dream wedding. I wanted to be the first in my family to graduate college because I wanted to the feel the pride of holding that impressive power and knowledge to my family’s name. I wanted to become a lawyer because my mother told me that jobs like being a lawyer or doctor make good money. I looked at my mother and had never seen her in an elegant white dress, so I told myself I’d become a lawyer. I told myself I’d become a lawyer so I could have the money to throw her a wedding. I’d throw her a wedding and finally get to see her in that elegant white dress.

Ever since I was little, I had always been planning on doing favors for everyone but me. I almost forgot a promise I had made to my aunt when I was younger about buying her a convertible. I’ve made more promises to other people than I can barely keep up with. I’ve always been type to hold the door open for others and forget to open the door for myself too.

For 2017, I plan on making more promises for myself. I am joining the Army National and attending Georgia Military College. My career field is still unknown as of now. I am a horrible liar so I can almost promise you I will not be a lawyer. I’ve watched tons of movies about college and I’ve heard countless amounts of college stories. I’m signing myself up for the military alongside going to military college, so I won’t ever get the crazy college life every teenager has had the chance to experience. But I do plan on building myself up to be a stronger, bolder person all around. I think college will be so good to me; I’m so hoping it will. If you would have asked me at my freshman year of high school if I would consider joining the Army and attend military college, I would’ve said no in a heartbeat. Life is so funny like that.

As for my mother, my aunt, and all other promises I hold to this day, you will all be my motivation. I always put my loved ones before me and it feels so odd to think about myself for once. My best friend taught me that it’s okay to be selfish sometimes, we all to be if we want to make it out there in the real world. I am eighteen, I am so young, and honestly I don’t feel the best I could be right now, but I feel this year will be so good to me. I’m taking a deep breath and going into the new year with fingers crossed; I’m going to need all the luck I could get.