​Catholic Crossover: Met Gala 2018 Meets The Man Upstairs

What the celebrities’ heavenly bodies wore to the Heavenly Bodies theme.

180
@giselebundchenfc | Instagram

This past week, there was a revelation – of fashion that is.

The 70th annual Met Gala was held this past Monday, May 7, and let me tell you, it was definitely a revelation. Each year, The Costume Institute Gala of New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art hosts the biggest fundraising event in fashion. Each year, there is a different theme that celebrities, fashion icons, and designers alike are to dress in. This year, the theme was labeled Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination.

Yes, you read it right. Guests were told to wear Catholicism-inspired costumes to pay homage to the holiness of fashion and religion alike. However, some were utterly offended by such a theme. But why? Isn’t the Vatican full of glitz and gloried outfits and clerics? Also, let it be known, that Pope Benedict XVI wore Prada loafers.

And to alleviate any hard feelings with the religion itself, hosts Amal Clooney, Rihanna, and Donatella Versace were sure to receive the seal of approval all the way from the Vatican City in Rome. Cardinal Timothy Dolan spoke on behalf of the Vatican saying, “In the Catholic imagination, the truth, goodness, and beauty of God is reflected all over… even in fashion.” In addition to this event and its entirety being blessed by the church, the Vatican even donated 42 articles to the new exhibit, as well as sent its Sistine Chapel choir to perform at the gala.

So, sit down, and enjoy the outfits.

First things first: the best of the best

Rihanna

As usual, Rihanna doesn’t disappoint! And as a host of the gala, she, of course, had to make a statement – and that she did. Her Pope-inspired look designed by John Galliano, creative director for Maison Margiela, made me want to hand her my nonexistent baby to kiss, bless, then raise as her own. Well done, Rihanna.

Ariana Grande

Take out the ‘e’ at the end of her last name and that’s exactly what this look was: grand. Her dress was designed by Vera Wang, and inspired by Michelangelo’s The Last Judgment that can be seen in the Sistine Chapel.

Lily Collins

The is beauty, she is grace. The epitome of elegance and a spot-on interpretation of the Weeping Madonna created with a Givenchy Haute Couture dress and a stunning headpiece, along with makeup-made tears.

Chadwick Boseman

Forgive me Father, for I may want to sin after seeing Chadwick’s outfit. He showed up in a stunningly white Versace suit/cape combo, detailed with crosses and celestial embroideries then accented with metallic gold Louboutin loafers. The Black Panther star definitely made an impression at his first Met Gala – Wakanda forever.

Jared Leto

Jesus? Is that you? No, wait, it’s just Jared Leto in a Gucci ensemble, topped with a gold, leafy crown for ~dramatic~ effect.

Lana Del Rey

Although she may have dressed as the iconic painting “Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows”, I felt no sadness as she glided down the red carpet in her Gucci gown, along with her one of her signature eccentric headpieces.

Zendaya

I just have to say, I’m not surprised. She’s been serving looks on various red carpets for years, and the Met Gala carpet is no different. She channeled her inner warrior, and Joan of Arc came out to play. This custom chainmail costume was designed by Versace, and topped with a beautiful, fierce, fiery bob-cut.

Blake Lively

If I had one bad thing to say about this custom Versace dress paired with over $2 million worth of Lorraine Schwartz jewelry, it would be the absence of the best accessory of all: her husband Ryan Reynolds

.

Sarah Jessica Parker

No words to say, other than talk about carrying a whole family on your shoulders! Oh, and I saw this on blurb about her outfit on Twitter, and if you’ve seen Sex and the City at all, you’ll find this as funny as I do.

Cardi B

I just hope that one day my baby bump will be as glitzed out as this. In a custom outfit and headpiece designed by Moschino’s creative director Jeremy Scott, Cardi B did not disappoint at her first Met Gala.

Nicki Minaj

Apparently, Minaj was feeling devilish, and it definitely showed through. I give a huge praise to her for thinking outside-the-box. While everyone was trying to look angelic and celestial, Nicki chose to channel and infernal Dante’s Inferno look.

And now, on to the sadder part of the article: the worst of the worst.

These celebrities missed the theme by a long shot. Did they try to dress to it? Or did they completely ignore it? I’m not mad, just disappointed, considering these celebrities have personal stylists, along with thousands, maybe millions, to spend on outfits for the gala and they still came up short.

Literally the entire Kardashian/Jenner Klan

Kris Jenner

Ups to her for kinda trying, but a Catholic Cardinal is a holy title in the Church, not a bird in this sense. It seems she sadly mistook these meanings and decided to put an actual bird on her dress.

Kim Kardashian

Although I love the “dripping in gold” effect she was trying to go for, a Versace dress with a few crucifixes on it doesn’t mean she fits the theme, sorry.

Kendall Jenner

What in the white-washed jumpsuit is this? Dressing in all white doesn’t make an outfit “angelic”, and neither do lace gloves. I expected more from a ‘fashion icon.’

Kylie Jenner

As opposed to her sister, I state again: what in blacked-out dress is this? This follows no theme whatsoever, and tights that have ‘Alexander Wang’ bedazzled on them definitely does not fit a Catholic church theme.

Travis Scott

Although his outfit complimented his counterparts, as well as complimented the theme, we’re looking for spot-on praise and achievement to the theme.

Selena Gomez

There were so many things gone wrong with this outfit. First of all, whoever did her makeup should be fired, along with whoever gave her that spray tan. Second of all, her dress looked more like a Boho wedding-on-the-beach dress rather than Met Gala red carpet attire. Maybe she should get back together with The Weeknd?

Bella Hadid

Speaking of The Weeknd's exes, Bella Hadid went along with Kendall Jenner and they both decided to ditch the theme together. Once again, dressed in all black and completely missing the point of the theme, she also made it a point to look like a backrest on a chair for some reason.

Tom Brady

Am I the only one a little confused as to why he was here in the first place? I guess if you have money to donate, you’re invited. And referencing his outfit, well, in the wise words of Jimmy Kimmel, “I think he’s dressed as the White Panther?”

Hailey Baldwin

Not horrible but not good. This outfit would have fit the theme more if it was "fairy tale." Not impressed.

So until next Met Gala, peace and blessings.