Healthy College Diet

Healthy College Diet

Having trouble resisting the yummy treats in college? Here are some tricks to keep the weight off!

12
Healthy College Diet
Her Campus

Rarely does one hear “college student” and “eating healthy” associated together in a positive light. The endless nights out and several slices of pizza typically contribute to the freshman 15. However, it CAN be done! I’ve shared a few tips to help you stay healthy and in shape during the school year.

1. Stay Away From Carbs

Yes I know, who doesn’t love a plate of yummy spaghetti? However, carbs are one of the quickest ways to gain weight. My goal is to have only one form of wheat bread/carbs a day. For example, I’ll have oatmeal or a sandwich but never both in the same day. Healthier carbs such as fruit, Greek yogurt, or vegetables are going to be your best bet.

2. Carry a Box of Tic Tacs

This is the best advice I could give. I know it may sound slightly silly but Tic Tacs save me from snacking. Take a few at a time and just pretend it is sucking candy. After a while it can be filling. So if you are ever bored or craving candy, pop in a few Tic Tacs! I carry a box with me at all times.

3. Fill Your Time

If you find yourself with a few hours to spare, try to find an activity to fill your time. In most cases, you will snack if you are bored. Even though you are not hungry, you have nothing else to do. This will really show prominence when relaxing and watching a movie or television series. Try your best to not aimlessly snack.

4. Limit The Available Snacks

If you don’t have it, you can’t snack on it. With that being said, keep a limited amount of snacks around your living space. When shopping at the grocery store down the cookie aisle, it is a million times easier to say “no” right then, than to have to resist later on when they are in your room. The snacks you do have, try to keep them healthier. Cheese-its and pop-tarts are not going to help keep the weight off.

5. Take One Bite

It is impossible to get rid of sweets. I walked downstairs of my apartment and saw a box of doughnuts and could not resist. This happens to everyone. If you just HAVE to have that sweet treat, just take ONE bite. Take a small sampling, and then throw it away or give to a friend. It may seem wasteful, but otherwise it will be extremely tempting.

6. The Gym Is Your Best Friend

Going to the gym can be overwhelming – especially if you are new to the school. However, it will keep those extra pounds off. When the semester really gets going, homework and responsibilities can pile up. I recommend pushing yourself to allow time for a workout. If all you have time for is only a 20-minute cardio session, make it an intense one! Working out can also act as a stress reliever from all of the schoolwork.