Hazardous Occupations

Hazardous Occupations

4 Facts That Indicate Why a Police Officer’s Job Is the Most Dangerous

470
Hazardous Occupations

There are many jobs that are stressful, but there are many others that are downright dangerous. While many people want to become a police officer, some simply don’t understand the dangers of the job. It is among the most dangerous jobs a person can have. Here are four facts to back that up.

Stress Can Be Problematic

While there are many jobs that are stressful, most of them aren’t a life and death situation for people who are doing them. For cops, they could be risking their life with every decision they make in their job. Just thinking about that is enough to cause stress.

Firearms Are Involved

A very good indicator that a job is dangerous is firearms being a constant for police officers. No matter where they are working or what they are doing, they’ll always have at least one firearm. Despite carrying them to protect themselves, they are still in danger’s way. In fact, there might be times when someone uses a firearm against them. Because of this, they may find themselves in a situation where their life is on the line.

Prone to Other Injuries

Police officers make up a majority of workers' compensation cases. The rate of cases for police is five times higher than that of other jobs. The job is not only mortally dangerous but is also a high-activity job. Sitting in the patrol vehicle for a long time is the least of an officer’s worries. Running to catch a criminal, holding someone down and even maneuvering to get into small spaces can all cause stress on the body. Police officers receive a lot of non-life threatening injuries while on the job.

Stranger Danger

Most of us know that approaching a stranger isn’t always the safest thing to do. Yet, police officers have to do it every single day. When they approach a car, they don’t know who is behind the wheel. Will they cooperate? Will they drive off, leading to a high-speed chase? Some officers may even experience hostility from the individuals that they encounter. Some officers have been physically assaulted, shot at, and, even, ran over. Of course, not every officer will experience such things. However, the danger of the unknown is always present.

Because being a police officer is such a dangerous job. As the most hazardous occupation out there, it has been known to be one associated with a ton of workers’ compensation claims. Next time you see a police officer, thank them for what they do and the risk that they face to keep your community safe.