Having A Sister, Means Having A Forever Friend

There is no better friend than a sister, and there is no better sister than you.

521
Alyssa Maher

Having a sister is like having a built in best friend. They never leave and they are always there for you, literally.

Growing up me and my sister were so much alike. Everywhere we went we would get the constant question, "are you guys twins?" We always had the same clothes, most of the time we would wear them separate days but when we wanted to be cute and annoying we would wear the same outfits. Sometimes we still do.

Even though she's older than me she still acts like a crazy little kid, but hey act your shoe size not your age right? Having an older sister means that she was the guinea pig. She got to try most things first and then show me what not to do. She would do something and get in trouble by our parents and I knew not to ask to do the same thing. She was the test dummy, but also the one to look up to.

As much as she got in trouble, she did more amazing things. She excelled in everything that she did, sports, academics, interviews, just about everything; and she still does. She showed me if you really want something, you have to work hard for it; a lesson that I embrace and use everyday.

When it came to sports we were on the same sports team every year. Softball, basketball, lacrosse, even in the same dance class. Even though it may have gotten annoying at times, I was so happy to have my biggest supporter right next to me on the field or on the court.

When it came time for her to apply to colleges I tried to lean her towards staying home. I didn't want to lose my best friend. I was worried that we wouldn't be as close anymore. Or that she would meet new people and have the time of her life, but forget about her baby sis back home. I couldn't have been more wrong. When she left it wasn't the same, but when she came home for breaks I was so excited and so eager to hear all her stories. Then the next year came and it was time for me to apply to schools. I even applied to a school 30 minutes from her so we would be close. Having us both be in completely different areas brought us close than ever. Now when we come home there is never a dull moment. Whether we are making fun of our mom, joking around, telling stories, or even fighting it's always something to look back on and laugh at.

There is nothing like having a sister. She's your best friend and someone you can always count on. Regardless of how many fights you have and no matter how bad the fights are, they will always be there for you. Lauren, thank you for being by my side and being my biggest supporter. I am so lucky to have someone like you to call my big sister and my best friend! Love ya sis!