Grandmas hold very special places in the hearts of their grandchildren, but there's no one quite like an Abuelita.
Abuelitas aren't afraid to invade your privacy and push boundaries, but they're family regardless and you can't help but love them. Only those with Abuelitas understand their quirky little dramatics.
1. Abuelitas have a nickname for everyone.
She probably has her own affectionate name for you and she'll use it whether or not it embarrasses you.
2. They have a flair for the dramatic.Giphy
They'll tell you it's called passion, but you know they can go a little overboard.
3. They have an accent, but won't admit it.
Their accents are apart of them, but they will forever deny it's existence.
4. Abuelitas think they own the kitchen...because they kind of do.
She'll cook food for the whole family and brag about it. It's okay, the food usually lives up to it.
5. Their nietos have a special place in their hearts.Giphy
Let's be honest, abuelitas spoil their grandchildren to their children's dismay. We've never minded.
6. Dancing is their favorite past time and they don't care who sees them.Giphy
Honestly, you can't stop it. Regardless of what they're doing, they'll be dancing. Get used to it.
7. They make songs for everything.
And yes, those songs will get stuck in your head.
8. They're prepared for any emergency!
You never have to worry about emergencies when Abuelita is around. If she's not,then you can panic.
9. Abuelitas are very set in their ways
You will never be able to change their mind.
10. And their very dedicated to their strong beliefs.
Whatever beliefs she may have, you'll know her routine because she'll stick to it. And don't even plan anythin for Sunday mornings, it's church time and you know it.
11. They have amazing stories if you take the time to listen.
My Abuelita had amazing stories going back to World War II in the Philippines. If that doen't make you appreciate how strong she is, then you don't deserve her.
12. But it's still your best connection to your family's rich history.
Without her, how would you know who all your distant relatives are?
13. Abuelitas are adamant on trying to get you to speak Spanish.
I may not be able to speak Spanish, but it wasn't for the lack of her trying.
14. God forbid you call them old.
I can almost feel her glaring at me for just typing it.
15. Yet, they will constantly tell you about their final wishes.
Even when you beg for them to stop talking like that, they want you prepared for the day they'll no longer be with us.
Though I don't think anyone could ever be prepared for it.