How To Have Better Conversations

How To Have Better Conversations

Improving the quality of your conversations is essential.

4
How To Have Better Conversations

We all are guilty of having meaningless, unininteresting conversations. Conversations aren't supposed to be perfect, but it is important that they are somewhat productive. Sometimes, our conversations end in anger, sadness, and confusion. Here are some tips to have more effective conversations in your every day life.

1. Listen to what others have to say

Sometimes, conversations are blatantly one-sided. It may be that you go off on a tangent with a story, or that a friend is speaking on and and about themselves. Listen to what others have to say in a conversation, because although it may not be interesting, it is respectful. Hearing someone doesn't mean you are listening to them. Part of having a conversation is being able to listen and absorb what the other person speaking is saying. By becoming a good listener, you are showing the person you are speaking to that what they say matters. Every one wants to feel like they matter, right?

2. Put the distractions away

Phones and even focusing on your homework can take away from the quality of a conversation. When we are focused on other matters during a conversation, we are not giving the conversation a chance to flourish. Not all conversations are full of enthusiasm and valuable lessons, but with time and effort they can display these qualities. Giving a conversation our undivided attention not only creates a more comfortable atmosphere for those speaking, but it increases the likelihood that you will remember it.

3. Be straightforward

While some conversations are easier to have than others, it is mature and practical to get to the point when speaking. Being straightforward moves the conversation along, and it also helps the person you are speaking with understand the message you are trying to relay to them. Despite the importance of being straightforward, this quality is not synonymous with being rude or disrespectful.

No conversation is perfect, and not all of them have a life lesson you are compelled to use as your mantra. Nonetheless, there are small steps that we can all take to improve our conversational skills.