I Hated High School But I Still Miss It Now I'm In College

To The High School Senior One Semester Away From Graduation, From Someone Who Hated High School

You'll miss more than you think.

5647
Brendan Scott

Thinking back to my mindset from a year ago when I was in the same position as you, I was itching.

Mostly, I was itching to finally leave high school. I was never a fan of high school. I found the environment toxic, and honestly, I was just excited to get out. I paid my dues, and it was time to leave. I'm sure many of you reading this are feeling the same way. Maybe you've picked out your life plan or what college you're attending and you're excited to just move on and become an adult.

Although, as one who "hated" high school, let me tell you that you will miss parts of it.

There will be a last time you run into class before the bell, late because of your coffee run.

There will be a last time you scream your high school fight song with your best friends at a pep rally.

There will be a last time you sit in your favorite class with your favorite teacher.

There will be a last time you sit in the library with your friends, probably making too much noise.

There will be a last time you go and get food after school with your friends.

And there will be a last practice.

There will be the last time that everything simple doesn't seem so simple.

High school is a tough time for a lot of kids, but it can be one of the most simple times of life. You feel like you have nothing figured out, but you do. You're comfortable with where you're at, and if you're anything like me, you've had the same friends since elementary school.

For me, I was so ready to leave that I forgot to live in the moment of my lasts and truly enjoy them. You're used to coming back and anticipating making new memories, but this is it. Sure, you'll meet up with your high school friends, but it won't be the same as seeing them in the halls and making spontaneous plans in math class.

Odds are you'll all travel to different parts of the state or country. The times with your friends will become sparse, and you'll make new friends. It's good — it's growth.

As a kid who really disliked high school, I can say that I do miss it.

I miss the memories and the simplicity of being in high school. You'll miss it too. If you had asked anyone in my high school if I would be the one writing this article, they would laugh. I do, though. So, to the second-semester high school senior — live in the moment for the next few months and stop looking forward.

Relish in the times that you know will be your lasts and truly appreciate them for what they are because in a few months you'll be sitting in a concrete dorm room thinking back on these memories while scrolling through photos.

You might be like me, wishing I would've appreciated these times more.