Hear Her Harvard: A Sisterhood Of Support From Delta Gamma

Delta Gamma's take action.
203

It is no surprise that there has been an extreme amount of attention raised in regards to female rights after this past weekend’s Women’s March. It is not a shock to us that the controversies surrounding this issue are constantly circulating in hopes that it will be brought to the attention of men and women throughout the country.

The millions of women that have attended this event over the course of the years strive to have their voices heard, speaking out against issues such as the ever-present wage gap in our society, as well as continuing the legalization of abortion and raising awareness against traumatic encounters of sexual assault and rape. After all, the future is female, right?

Do not get me wrong – I am an advocate for improving the treatment of women in this world.

I am aware of the challenges that we face on a daily basis, but in no way do I refer to myself as a feminist. Truthfully speaking, my tendencies are just not as liberal as others. I have not been directly affected by these particular issues, and have come to accept the fact that, although my viewpoint may differ from other women that I am surrounded by, I am not lacking in the category of self-respect.

In contrast, I have nothing but respect for the women that continue to fight and speak up for the good of all females. Yet, it was not until I became more informed about Harvard University’s recent sanction on participants in single-gender social organizations that I felt a direct connection to this issue.

Within the past year, Harvard University imposed a ban on members of their single-gender organizations that will not allow for them to obtain leadership positions in “official” clubs.

This is inclusive of unrecognized clubs, as well as sororities, leaving female students throughout the university outraged. Following this news, The Crimson Women’s Coalition organized a rally and spoke out against what they felt was an apparent injustice, coining the phrase “Hear Her Harvard” in hopes of raising awareness.

After the Women’s March this weekend, it was brought to my attention that one of the Harvard sororities actively speaking out against this issue was Delta Gamma. As I have a deep love for the Eta Pi Chapter that I have been blessed to be a part of, I felt nothing but pride in the actions of the Delta G’s of Harvard University.

In my personal experience, Delta Gamma has offered me more than I could describe. Not only am I constantly surrounded by a group kind and empowering women – I am surrounded by a group of fierce women with a passion for philanthropy and leadership. The more time that I spend with them, the more I can see their examples rubbing off on me. That is why, when asked on January 23rd by EO to wear our letters around campus in support of the women at Harvard, I could not help but participate.

I have come to realize that, by EO reaching out to us to engage in such a simple act, we have extended our support not only to the ladies in unofficial clubs and sororities at Harvard, but to women everywhere. Whether one considers themselves to be a feminist or not, it is understood that, at the end of the day, all women are working to achieve the same goal. We wish to be recognized, respected, and valued. Without my own sisterhood, I may not have been brought to this realization, and I remain grateful for that.