The 'Harry Potter' Movies Ranked Worst To Best

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." — Albus Dumbledore

Personal Photo
13

It's that time of year again when television stations play the entire 'Harry Potter' series from start to finish over the course of three days. As a kid, I lived for these days and that hasn't changed. When all of the movies came out, I was able to watch them all on DVD and I did that at least once a year. In the past week, I spent three days watching all seven movies and it was the best decision of the year. I love the 'Harry Potter' series and I could easily watch the movies over and over again without getting bored.

'Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone'

This is the beginning of the saga and although it's adequate, there seems to be a lot missing compared to the book. We're introduced to the Dursleys, who want nothing to do with the magical world and try to keep Harry away from it. As if that would stop him or Hagrid for that matter. Even though the magical world of Hogwarts is supposed to be kept a secret, numerous letters are sent and Hagrid barges in to tell Harry that he is a wizard. Even though Harry could make mysterious, seemingly unknown things happen, he had no idea why. As the adventures of Harry Potter begin, Harry is put in danger from the very beginning. Although Dumbledore tells the kids to stay away from the Forbidden Forest, Harry is taken there for detention and ends up almost being attacked by a hooded figure. Then, as if the kids have no supervision at all, they search for the Sorcerer’s Stone which has been hidden within the castle. The most infamous school and the professors can’t even keep track of the students.

'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2' 

Still on the hunt for Horcruxes, the three friends continue to risk their lives to fight off Voldemort, even going to the lengths of posing as Bellatrix and another Death Eater. After being warned about trusting goblins, Harry proceeds to make a deal with a goblin. And guess what happens? They almost die. Harry returns to Hogwarts and the battle ensues as the wizards of Hogwarts try to fight out Voldemort's army. New information is revealed about Snape which makes his death even more heartbreaking. In the end, Hogwarts prevails and ten years later, Harry's and Ron's kids are starting at Hogwarts. Although it's eventful, it's a predictable ending.

'Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix'

Uh oh, Harry is expelled from Hogwarts for using magic to fight off Dementors that came to Privet Drive. The Order comes to Harry's rescue to take him to Headquarters, where the adults are talking behind closed doors and his friends are hiding things from him. Although they blame Dumbledore, Harry feels alone and shutout. All he wants to do is fight but he needs to calm down and get his head straight. The most irritating character in this movie is Professor Umbridge who doesn't quite get what she deserves by the end. Another irritating thing is Dumbledore's insistence to keep Harry in the dark which only makes Harry want to fight even harder. And of course, he does. He falls into Voldemort's trap and runs full force into danger. Harry loses another friend and the world has to acknowledge that Voldemort is indeed back.

'Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets'

The funny part about this movie is the extremes Dobby goes to as he tries to prevent Harry from getting back to Hogwarts. If someone took that much effort to keep me away from something, I think I would've taken the hint. Dobby knew Hogwarts would be a dangerous place and was just trying to warn Harry, yet Harry wouldn't have it. Instead, he went back to school and almost got killed by a memory.

'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 1'

Given that Harry is almost of age to use magic outside of school, the Order must smuggle him out of his Aunt's house and into safety. Aunt Petunia finally shows an ounce of emotion towards the loss of her sister which is actually quite funny and doesn't really add up. There are a few casualties but overall, they complete their mission. Instead of laying low as they should, they hold a wedding which is quickly interrupted by Death Eaters. Hermoine, Ron, and Harry escape to the city but not before leaving their friends in destruction. They continue their search for Horcruxes, almost die a time or two, and even get captured by the Death Eaters. Another friend is lost but the heroes prevail.

'Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban'

At the very beginning of the movie, Harry blows up his aunt and he faces an interesting adventure on the Knight Bus. The best parts of the movie are Hermoine's Time-Turner and the appearance of Sirius Black. Once Hermoine and Harry go back in time, they solve most of their problems while also realizing that one of their enemies has slipped through their fingers. Harry discovers secret passageways and learns new information about his family.

'Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire'

With the horrors at the Quidditch World Cup and the events of the Triwizard Tournament, Goblet of Fire is very action-packed. From worries about Death Eaters to tensions between friends, there are several twists and turns as Harry fights to stay alive and win the Tournament. The Dark Lord returns and Harry watches a friend die by his hands. One of the saddest scenes is Harry's return to Hogwarts afterward. I tear-up every time.

'Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince'

In my opinion, the Half-Blood Prince is by far the most interesting movie out of the series. For the first time, Hermoine acknowledges her feelings for Ron and Harry acknowledges his feelings for Ginny. Even though it takes a while for them to come together, they get there eventually. As Harry tries to thwart Draco's plans and follows the words scrawled by the Half-Blood Prince, he starts to feel the darkness within him. The relationship between Harry and Dumbledore is further explored as they embark on an adventure to find out information about Voldemort. Voldemort gains power as one of our beloved falls.