Harry Potter Helped Me Through A Tough Time In My Life

How Hogwarts Welcomed Me Home

I liked Harry Potter, but didn't love it till I needed it most.

161
How Hogwarts Welcomed Me Home
Stephanie Cornejo

I liked Harry Potter, I watched the movies but never read the books. I followed the actors/actresses on social media and knew all about Harry Potter World at Universal. I knew who to like, who not to like and who should not even be named. But I only liked Harry Potter, I didn't start loving it till a year ago when I needed it more than I thought. I decided as big as a reader as I am why have I never read this series that still is on Barnes and Noble shelves. That year for Christmas I decided to ask for the full box set, so when I was done with one book I could just grab the next one right off my shelf.

I was reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" when just like Harry's life changed a lot, so did mine. Since I was at this certain point in my life, I had taken a semester off from school and I was home for the rest of the year. I had all the time in the world so why not finish the entire series that year. I read every day and night. I laughed and cried, even though after seeing the movies more times than I can count I already knew what to expect.

There's just something about how J.K. Rowling writes that made me feel so attached to the characters that they could feel my emotions and I could feel theirs. This series is amazing and it gave me something to do on my time off, but it also made me feel connected to Harry in a way. He always went through a lot during his years at Hogwarts and at this point in my life, I was going through a lot too. Harry always got through his tough times with the help of his friends, so I knew I could get through my own tough times with the help of my friends and family.

There were quotes said by some of the characters that still have stuck with me, even a year later. Now every time I see a good "Harry Potter" quote I save it or even get a poster of it to hang up in my room. It was words of wisdom to Harry, but some of these quotes are motivation to me. I have become so connected with this series and characters I can't help but get teary-eyed every time I watch the movies. I even went to Harry Potter World last December and I will admit I teared up when I saw Kreacher through the window in 12 Grimmauld Place.

It was a series I thought I was going to finish and be a little sad, but then move on to a new series a couple of weeks later. However it became so much more than that, it reminds me of that tough time in my life and how I just like Harry got through it.

So thanks J.K. Rowling for creating a magical world that did more than give me a good past time hobby, but rather got me through a point in my life where I thought everything was going to be tough from then on.