'Harry Potter' Taught Us More Than How To Read: Celebrating 20 Years Of Harry

A trubute to The Boy Who Lived and the brains behind the seven book series beloved around the world.

38

The revolutionary and mythical character, Harry Potter, has become one of the most renowned fictional characters worldwide through the publication of a seven book series as well as eight motion pictures. Last month, the household name, created by J.K. Rowling, celebrated its 20th anniversary of the first publication in the series being released, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."

Two decades ago, Rowling opened up a world for people of every age and revolutionized the entertainment industry in every possible way.

However, the story that chronicles the adventures of a young wizard aside his two best friends fighting evil and achieving equality for all, goes beyond the fictional pages, monetary values and blockbuster movies.

Through relatable characters, trials and tribulations of adolescence, the primary theme of good vs. evil and the perseverance to always do the right thing, Rowling left an impact on hearts and souls around the world, one that has been permanently marked and will forever be irreplaceable.

Leaving more than just a story in our society, the tales of "The Boy Who Lived" and the brain from which he emerged deserve a tribute on such a monumental milestone.

When we’re young, times are relatively easy. We aren’t tied to many responsibilities, it’s expected that we be naive, money doesn’t stress us out, etc.

However, growing up can be tough when faced with evil forces such as bullies, the fear of standing up to others and the temptation to do what’s wrong.

For years, Harry had to face hardships in different areas of his life; dealing with the loss of his parents and being forced to habituate with his not-so-loving family, battling for justice against Lord Voldemort and managing everyday decisions regarding friendships, schoolwork and love.

Rowling created Harry as relatable for adolescents as well as built a world to escape to when we were dealing with our own personal dilemmas. Following alongside Harry and his friends was one of my favorite adventures, and I thank Rowling for creating such a rewarding journey.

Aside from Harry, each character in the series embodies a distinct characteristic that provides the opportunity for all to find someone to relate to.

Whether you’re like Hermione, the knowledgeable and confident one, or Ron the insecure and loyal friend or even Neville, the nervous yet brave one, there is always someone you can see a little of yourself in.

Another challenge we face, especially in our adolescent years, is the choice between right and wrong, which coincides with the central theme of good vs. evil.

Rowling taught us, through fictional scenarios, how to cope with the burden of choosing between the two, how to overcome these decisions the right way and why good conquers all.

Especially in today’s society, it is important to have positive ethical values when it comes to social injustices, political differences and other controversial topics. I think Rowling has instilled values in some of us that we don’t even realize or recognize and has urged us to do better and better.

For example, there have been many organizations founded worldwide that stemmed from the magic of Harry Potter. The Harry Potter Alliance is a worldwide organization that fights for equality, human rights and a better world, just as Harry and his friends did throughout the books.

The influence and impact this illusory story has left are immeasurable, but I think the real story that needs the highest regard and tribute, is that of Rowling – a true rags-to-riches situation.

Her success is owed to hard work, determination, creativity and perseverance, even in the darkest of times. While writing the first book, she was living on welfare and just getting by, but her idea and voice carried her to more success than imaginable and now finds herself as one of the wealthiest women around the world.

Even in her magnitude of victories, she still exemplifies selflessness through donating to various charities and organizations worldwide. I think Rowling’s journey is the most valuable as it teaches us to never give up on our dreams and never let the evils of this sometimes ugly world swallow us up, no matter how challenging it can become.

Thank you and congratulations, Rowling, on 20 years of success, triumphs and victory. Your work is valued, appreciated and beloved and will be for many years to come.

In the words of Albus Dumbledore, “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light”.

Cheers to 20 more years of magic, friendship and hope.