One of the hardest lesson to learn in college is to be responsible.

Only you are responsible for your decisions and their outcomes.

3

College is a huge adjustment for many new students. You are kind of out on your own for the first time, you are treated like an adult and expected to act like one at all times. There is no one left to blame for your mistakes or pull you out of trouble. The hardest part of adjusting to your new independence is accepting personal responsibility. This isn’t a fun article and may not be filled with things you want to hear, But if this list doesn’t seem obvious to you read further because there is some advice you should take to heart.

You are responsible for remembering every deadline.

You are responsible for making sure every form is filled out and you or your parents have completed fafsa and paid tuition.

You are responsible for knowing the parking rules and paying your parking tickets.

You are responsible for doing research on scholarships and applying for them.

You are responsible for knowing when you need help and being proactive about it by going to the tutoring center.

You are responsible for keeping track of your books and paying to replace them.

You are responsible for your own appointments and ensuring there are no schedule conflicts with class.

You are responsible for eating healthy and living healthy.

Any consequences are yours.

If your come into college not accepting these terms you will deny you are responsible for your own choices and outcomes. By doing this you blame others and make fixing your mistakes that much harder.

Taking responsibility for missing a deadline with honesty rather than an excuse will make a professor a lot more likely to work with you.

It is your choice to go to class and your responsibility to make up what you missed. The professor doesn’t want to hear how you woke up late and most likely won’t repeat their lecture. Set up a network, get the notes from a friend.

Every choice you make in college should be a conscious one because it will build your future.

Only you know what you want out of your education so you are responsible for knowing you are taking the right classes or doing what you need to get there.

Realizing this and taking full responsibility for your life early on will help make the transition into college and adulthood that much smoother.