To My Parents On Their 20th Anniversary

To My Parents On Their 20th Anniversary

They have proved to me over and over again what love is and how it should be.

319
To My Parents On Their 20th Anniversary
Author's photo

They tell you growing up that you’ll find someone that you’ll love with all your heart. Could be your high school sweetheart or someone you fell in love with as soon as you get out of college. Well, my parents were the lucky ones they were high school sweethearts. When they first met it was at a red light and my dad was with his group of friends in one vehicle and she was in other with hers.

Weird isn’t meeting someone at a red light when that person ends up being the one that you marry and having a family. True love is something that seems hard to find or isn’t actually there but true love is a concept in the back of everyone's mind and when you least expect it to show up it’s there. Here’s the story as to how they meet.

My dad was out at a Chinese buffet with his friend Chris and cousin Paul, they put something in their friends drink and he drank it got up to go to the bathroom my dad and cousin took off to the truck they put the tailgate down for their friend to get in. He starts running to the truck gets in the back. Then they reach a red light where my mom and her friends are there yelling to shut the tailgate. My mom and her friends asked if they could follow them and of course, they would say “If you can keep up”.

They kept up for good while but then they lost them and took a shortcut through the mall parking lot where they meet up once again. My mom's friend walked up to the truck and asked “So whos number do you want?” and my dad said the girl in the back seat. Therefore he got the number of my mom, called her the next day and went to pick her up from her house but he went to one side of town when she lived on the other side of town so it took him all day to find her house but he still showed up. This was how my parent's story started and since that day they have been together for 21 years and married for 20 years.

My parents have had obstacles to face throughout the years. From my dad's parents to having us kids and all the schooling issues and then when they separated. Things haven’t been so easy for them. With us kids, we were always fighting with each other. School wasn’t that easy to because four out of five of us kids have a learning disability so it wasn’t and still isn’t that easy.

They were fighting with the schools for a while. But when it came to one of us kids they have been fighting with the schools for so long it just got really annoying. When it comes to my dad's parents that goes back to I believe when I was conceived but that's something that I'm not sure about. There was at least a short amount of time where my dad left us for a good week or two.

During that week my dad came home and had dinner with us and talked to us kids and my mom after that week or two he came home. My mom and dad took the boat out and the thing that fully saved their marriage was the boat and us kids are grateful. Yeah, they have had their obstacles but they have come out stronger than ever and they act like there teens in love all over again.

I wanna wish my parents a happy 20 year anniversary. They have proved to me over and over again what love is and how it should be. They have proved to the world over and over again that nothing can tear them apart no matter what is thrown in there way. True love means everything to them because that's what they have with each other and I hope one day to have something like they have but not completely because I wanna feel true love in my own way.