New Year, New Me

New Year, New Me

Don't give up and don't live in regret.

99
New Year, New Me
Recode

We all hope to change for the better. Whether it's to improve fitness, grades or your social life, we all yearn to make our lives seem grander and more perfect.

Sometimes, those goals or resolutions don't lead to any tangible result. Either we stop trying, forget or just don't care as much anymore. However, changing yourself takes time and effort. Just writing or posting about your New Year's resolutions aren't going to amount to anything more than a vision if you don't try and make a commitment to stick to your word.

Just like most of you, I also forget or push aside my aspirations by April, simply because I don't have the time for them. Well, truth be told, it's actually because I never made time for them in the first place. I always assume that they'll just fit right into my busy schedule and that they won't be impacted by the throes that life brings. Now that I've finally come to this realization, I can become consciously aware of my decisions to change myself for the better. I'm determined to make 2018 myyear. As long as we read and remind ourselves of our goals, we're one step closer to achieving them.

Becoming a happier and healthier version of yourself is a process, one that takes diligence and perseverance. I keep a journal, and last year I wrote six reminders to myself for 2017. I have no recollection of where I found this inspiration, but they're absolutely essential to remain optimistic through trying times. They read as follows:

1. It's OK to be unsure about what you want in life.

2. It's OK to be unhappy. You don't have to be happy all the time.

3. It's OK to try and fail.

4. It's OK to be where you are right now, as long as you work on getting better.

5. It's OK to be left behind sometimes, you'll catch up soon.

6. It's OK to be vulnerable sometimes, just take a deep breath.

On the first page of my journal for the new year, I've dedicated these six points as my "Reminders for 2018," to keep the tradition. But again, they'll only help if you read and remember them when needed.

Another idea I use is "Miracle of the Month." Each month of the year, as a result of journaling regularly, I will write down one–or maybe two–important moments that helped that month become special. As a pessimist, it's sometimes difficult for me to envision the glass half full. This technique allows me to have a more positive outlook on life, even when I might have to search relentlessly for the good times. When it reaches December 31, it's always fun to reminisce about the wonderful memories I made over the year.

When starting anew, you must reprioritize your entire life. Figure out who and what are important to you, and cut out the rest. To focus on yourself, you can't have any distractions. By recognizing which commitments you want to keep in 2018, you can spend more time doing what you love, with who you love, and improve yourself in the process. There's no point in being a jack of all trades when you're a master of none.

Mental health is so important and if you don't take care of yourself, how can you even begin to reach than 4.0 or lose than freshman 15? As long as you remain optimistic, strong yet humble, almost nothing can stand in your way.

As written word-for-word in my journal, "Ignore the haters, seize opportunities, love the life you're given, and make 2018 the best year yet. Push through the hard times and relish in the good. Don't give up and don't live in regret."

Here's to a kickin' 2018!