What Has Happened To Marriage Within A Century?

A look at the transformation of marriage within a 100 years.

26

When we think of marriage, we acknowledge it as a legal union between two spouses, as partners within a relationship. Whatever the legal bond may be, marriage has evolved from a traditional religious custom to a liberal controversial praxis. While the traditional concept of marriage has deteriorated, many of the masses have seemed to redesign the principle. With same sex marriage being legalized and the number of children being raised by a single parent household has increased, the principle of marriage has become far from what it was in a span of 100 years. Is marriage being taken for granted now and what has happened to the concept of marriage within a century?

In the early years of the 20th century, marriage was essential towards achieving the American Dream. It was of great importance for a young women to be married by a certain age. If women weren’t married before the age of 30, they were considered defective and identified as an “old maid.” Women would generally marry between the ages of 19-22, whereas today the average age ranges between 27-29. Also, unmarried couples who lived together were a disgrace and frowned upon amongst society. It was expected that if a women were to get pregnant before wedlock, they would have to marry the father of that child. Like unmarried couples, same-sex marriage was unheard of and not prevalent in American culture.

The legalization of same sex marriage has become one of society’s most controversial matters. Since the legalization was passed for all states in 2015, many supporters were happy while others were outraged. Before the 21st century, same sex marriage was considered to be informal and animalistic. In the late 80s and early 90s, same sex couples/marriages became more recognized and acceptable in society.

In today’s generation, the concept of marriage has changed. More children are being raised by unmarried couples, divorced parents or even a single parent. This case has become more common and very much acknowledged where unmarried women are referred to as “baby mothers,” and men as “baby fathers.” From what we can see the conventional way of marriage has transformed into a more unorthodox custom.