11 Things That Happen When You Have A Major No One Has Heard Of

The world is a wild place when nobody knows what you're studying.

169

After realizing my sophomore year that I hated all of my business classes, I decided to switch my major from international business to digital technology and culture (DTC), a major that was actually created at Washington State University.

It was this switch that showed me how much departments differ and how important it is to find the program that's right for you. While having an uncommon major is interesting, I wouldn't change it for the world.

1. You constantly have to explain what your major is to people

When people ask what you major is they expect you to be studying something like business or political science, so when you say something like DTC, people are typically caught off guard. Eventually, you develop a go-to, simplified explanation of your major.

2. There's probably only one adviser for your department

It’s likely if you have an uncommon major that your department is pretty small. As a result of your department's size, you were probably only allocated one adviser by the university, meaning that your adviser is responsible for everyone in your program and is therefore super busy.

3. Your major might even be part of some department that doesn’t completely make sense

Don’t get me wrong the WSU Department of English is absolutely lovely, but I have always wondered why DTC is a part of the English department. I mean yes, English and rhetoric are a part of my program, however so is graphic design, communications, coding, and marketing. So why is DTC not part of the College of Communications or the College of Business? Why English?

4. You know or recognize most of the people in your classes

There are three types of people in your classes: those that you know because you two have nearly identical schedules, those that you don't know but definitely recognized, and randos that took the class by accident.

5. You have the same professors for multiple classes

This is either a blessing or a curse. If you have a professor that you love, you’ve hit the jackpot because there is a high chance you’ll be in many of their classes over time. However, if you’ve found a professor that you don’t quite vibe, unfortunately, you may have them again.

6. It’s always exciting to meet someone with the same major as you outside of class

You get a little bit of a thriller when you meet someone with your major because you’ve found someone that actually knows what your major is and who you is going through the same experiences as you.

7. Most of your classes are only offered at one time

As your department is uncommon and likely very small, your classes will be offered at one time, making scheduling a breeze. However, when you have a major or minor in a different department, things can get ugly.

8. You constantly have to battle with classmates to get into classes

Having an uncommon major and small program often means that the upper-level classes you need are only offered at one time. However, everyone else in your program needs these classes too, which means that everyone in your class is trying to get into a singular section before the class fills up and the wait list begins.

9. When applying for jobs or internships you have to explain that, while your major was not on the list of required majors for applicants, it would have been if it were more common

Having to explain in interviews and cover letter why you are just as qualified for a position as someone with a common major is a frustration that will never end.

10. You constantly have to justify your choice and show people that you will find a job after college

“What are you going to do with that?” is probably a question I hear often. Well, my major wouldn't exist if there wasn't some use or nee for it. I can actually do a lot with my major, arguably more than someone majoring in just communications or graphic design.

11. You are going to stand out among a sea of business and marketing majors

Employers are going to remember someone with an uncommon major, not someone with an ordinary major.