5 Steps To Handling The Professor You Can't Stand

Is your head going to explode sitting through class one more time? Same.

16

So you hate your professor? Whether it's English, Chemistry, Statistics, Art History or anything in between, you just passed the withdraw deadline and you're stuck with this wonderful human for the next six weeks. Now what?

1. Rant to someone about it.

Obviously, I'm not here to tell you to speak poorly about someone. But when you get a B- on an assignment that was definitely A quality, it sucks. And there's only one person who decided that for you, so it's normal that there are some built up tensions about it. Whether you pop off to your friend, a journal, or your private snap story, getting it out will help you re-center yourself on your priority - doing well in this painful class. Once you've put all of your angry out into the universe, you're going to have to undo some damage. Now that you've realized all the reasons you're frustrated, try to pinpoint specific things about this professor that are driving you nuts. Not only will it allow you to solve the problem quicker, but it'll also help you see that there are some things about the class that aren't as bad as others (.....I hope).

2. Don't back down.

Now that you know why this professor is slowly killing you, combat it!! Speak up for yourself both literally and through your work!! Keep pursuing getting answers to questions you have whether it be about the material, an upcoming assignment, or the structure of the class. Start showing up for class if you haven't been and make sure that you're applying yourself to ensure that you don't let the professor have too much influence over how you do. If you're doing your best, that's all you can do. Step three: Chill out about it.

3. Chill out about it.

There's a lot of reasons you could dislike a professor; maybe they're a hard grader, don't seem approachable, or seem stuck in their ways. It's important that whatever you conclude is making this professor hard to deal with is something you can still respect. Hard graders want you to succeed. A lecturer who doesn't seem approachable might be totally different one-on-one in office hours. And if they're a bit too opinionated for you? Well, that's just life because people like that will always be around, and it's best that we all learn to not let others bother us. Sure, it seems like sitting through one more class with this teacher will literally put you in your grave, try to remember that they're a person too. This will last one semester. It's not going to ruin your life, even if it feels like it's going to ruin your GPA.

4. Just do you.

I really can't stress this step enough. For what it's worth, you're the most important person in this scenario. Focus on your success - whatever that is going to look like in this class!! You're in this class to get a degree and better yourself. You pay hard earned money to be sitting in that seat, so take advantage of the plus sides to this class (@the cute boy in my English class if you ever see this). Do your best to stay positive about the situation; however you keep your attitude about the class is how you will ultimately feel about it.

5. Remember a few last things.

First, remember that your professor is not the subject that they teach. No matter how painful anatomy is, that's not a reason for you to take your professor on that website we all know and love. Try to meet with them individually, for all you know the monotone voice totally disappears when you mention the picture of the adorable puppies on their desk. Sometimes it just takes the right comment to get people to open up. Mostly, remember that at the most you have 15 weeks (which means only 30-45 classes!) to get through with this teacher before you leave them and their awful class behind.