To (Some) Hamline Professors

To (Some) Hamline Professors

These are the ones that have truly shown their support and care for me and other students.

14
To (Some) Hamline Professors
Star Tribune

This article isn't to all of the professors at Hamline but the ones that have made an impact on my life. I think they know who they are. These are the ones that have truly cared for me and other students on campus.

A student can always tell when a professor cares. I mean truly cares and is not just saying things because they have to, but because they want to. At my time at Hamline, I have run into a hand full of professors that have truly cared for me and looked out for me.

As you may know, I wrote about how much I appreciate my high school teachers for sticking by my side. My college experience has been ten times harder than high school for many, many reasons. Most recently, I have been needing support for the people around me. I have gotten it from some professors. They have help me get through some things that I have been dealing with. Whether it be stressing over midterms, falling behind in classes, other professors, my illness and sometimes family drama. These professors have been able to talk with me face-to-face, when my high school teachers haven’t. And that is just because they are three hours away. I am sure that if they were closer to me they would.

My point is that the few professors that have cared and supported me at my time at Hamline, didn’t have to but did. These individuals are truly amazing. They take the time to listen to everything you have to say. Then, they respond with some support and advice. They don’t realize how much it actually helps a student. Sometimes it isn’t the advice they give but the listening they do and the time they set aside. They know and tell me at times that they aren’t experts in things but still tell me that they will be there when I need to talk or need help. And that is all a student needs.

Some of these people aren’t even my professors I have had either. Somehow our paths have crossed and I felt as though I could trust them. And that even gives them more of a reason to not have to keep talking with me, I am not even their student or advisee but they still keep their door open for me.

There are some that reach out to me when they can tell or know that I am having a hard time. The fact that I don’t even have to tell a person that I am struggling is incredible for me as a student because sometimes it is hard for me to reach out. So, when they ask me what is going on, I know I can tell them.

My illness, as some of you may now, has made things tremendously difficult for me at times. I have had four emergency room visits within the last year and all of them have been during the time that I was taking classes. One of the professors had to take me while we were on a trip for school. He was so sweet, kind and understanding. We got super close after that and there was no reason for him to be those things. It is just that he is a great human being with a kind heart.

Other times they've helped during a flare-up and when I need to just sit down in a more private area where I can feel a bit safe. And so I don’t pass out in public and hurt myself. It isn’t like I can go anywhere, like back to my apartment, because I can’t physically walk back sometimes when I am having a flare-up. So, I have sat in certain professor’s offices while not feeling well. I’ll put my head down and try to breath while they talk with me and get my mind off things. It seems so simple yet helps me in so many ways.

There is no way for me to express to them how much they truly have helped me. I honestly don’t know where I would be without some of them. In a way, each one of these types of professors have shaped me to who I am today. These professors are the most human type of professor a student needs. These professors understand how difficult life can be and they have sympathy and empathy for us students. I will always greatly appreciate them for everything they have done and I try to express that to them so they know how much they can impact a students life.