Hamilton's Address to VP Elect Mike Pence

Freedom of Speech

8
CNN

My first political piece on the Odyssey

Our Vice President Elect Mike Pence went to see Hamilton: an American Musical this week. On arrival to the Richard Rodgers Theatre, he was both cheered and booed. He simply waved and minded his own business. After the performance, he and his company started to make their way out, but not before Brandon Victor Dixon, who plays Aaron Burr, made this statement:

“You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening,” he said to audience laughter. “And Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out, but I hope you will hear us just a few more moments. There’s nothing to boo here, ladies and gentlemen. There’s nothing to boo here. We’re all here sharing a story of love. We have a message for you, sir. We hope that you will hear us out.”

As he pulled a small piece of paper from his pocket, Dixon encouraged people to record and share what he was about to say “because this message needs to be spread far and wide.”

“Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you, and we truly thank you for joining us here at ‘Hamilton: An American Musical.’ We really do,” Dixon said to further applause. “We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us. All of us. Again, we truly thank you truly for seeing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds and orientations.” (Source: Washington Post)

Then, people took to Twitter with the hashtag, #BoycotHamilton.

There were hate comments saying to boycot the musical of the century, which is sold out for the next year, mind them. As a long term Hamilton fan, I will support the company no matter what they do. Do I think this could be handled in a different way? Perhaps. However, I don't feel the negative comments were justified. What do you think?