Halloween Movies to Get You Feeling ~Eerie~

Even though 2020 has been scary enough already, Halloween is in fact upon us, and what better way to celebrate the coming of autumn than by watching some of the classic movies that make the season all the better! Whether you live for the thrill of horror movies or Charlie Brown is more your speed, we have all the movies you need for a cozy night in. Grab some popcorn and get spooky!

53

1. Hocus Pocus

A group of people posing for the camera Description automatically generated

Need we say more? This movie is iconic in it's clever one liners, but isn't super scary (which means you'll be able to sleep after you watch it). We hear that there's a full moon on October 31st this year… all we need is for a virgin to light the candle to bring back the Sanderson Sisters. After all, it's all just a bunch of hocus-pocus!

2. Us

A person posing for the camera Description automatically generated

I watched this movie for a class last year and I was terrified. FULL DISCLAIMER: I am incapable of handling scary movies. Meaning: I watched a horror movie my senior year of high school, and I'm pretty sure that I was so freaked, I didn't go near a horror movie until "Us"- four years later. Regardless, it has a lot of interesting theories behind it, so if you're interested in some backstory, Jordan Peele himself has a lot to say in an interview with NPR here.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

A picture containing table, sitting Description automatically generated

I watched this movie for the first time recently, and I missed out on a lot. I finally understand why it is such a classic. Apparently, everyone had a thing for Jack Skeleton way back when? To each their own. But regardless, "This is Halloween" was totally played at every Halloween party from middle school, ever. My sincere apologies if it's stuck in your head now!

4. Scream

A person standing in a room Description automatically generated

What's your favorite scary movie? Kidding. This movie is a known classic, and just by looking at the above photo, I have distinct memories of my cousin dressing in this mask for Halloween. Produced in 1996, this one is absolutely a must-see if you're looking for some cheesy jump scares. Just don't forget the rules of surviving a horror movie: don't say you'll be right back.

5. A Quiet Place

A person standing in front of a window Description automatically generated

This one had my heart stopping at the most bizarre moments. These are the sort of movies that keep you half scared, half on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next. Plus, seeing Emily Blunt and John Krasinski together is pure magic. Krasinski is hardly the childish Jim that we see in "The Office".

6. Hotel Transylvania

I love Disney. So much so that of course I had to throw in this cute movie, even if it isn't so much Halloween-themed. What happens when a human stumbles upon the hotel which Dracula has built for monsters who need to hide? Chaos.

7. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

I grew up watching all of the Charlie Brown movies: A Charlie Brown Christmas, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, and of course, It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Scary? Not even a little. Adorable, endearing and perfect for a cold night with mulled cider? Absolutely.

Enjoy binge-watching!