Halloween Is Not Canceled: Here Is How You Can Celebrate Safely

Just Because We Are In A Pandemic Doesn't Mean Halloween Can't Be Memorable

79

There have been many things that are different about this year. One thing that may not be the same as previous years is Spooky Season.

One of the most popular tourist destinations around Halloween Salem, putting some restrictions, trick or treating is either canceled or restricted in some states, Halloween is very different this year.

However, that doesn't mean that it can't be fun, there are many ways we can make this memorable. Whether it is celebrating at home or going out (safely). Halloween can still be saved, but it is what you make of it.

Here are some fun ways to celebrate the spooky season.

Do Trunk or Treat

If your local town or any town nearby is having a Trunk or Treat that you should go to it. Many of them are following protocols, only allowing a certain amount of people in at a time using different time slots.

If they are still accepting volunteers go volunteer (safely of course), wear a mask, social distance, and have some fun.

Have A Movie Marathon

There are many movies that you can watch, you can have an all-night movie marathon, you can watch Halloween, Scream, Saw or if you aren't into the bloodiness you can also watch movies about social issues like Get Out or Us. If scary movies aren't your thing you can watch Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, Twitches, Witches, Adams Family, even Hubie Halloween on Netflix, there is a lot to choose from.

Order a pizza, pop some popcorn, turn off the lights (you can put on some spooky ones) and enjoy the classics. Movies have always been one of my favorite parts about Halloween, even though I have seen them so many types, it is one of the things I look forward to the most about Halloween.

You can go on Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime or even your local library or Redbox.

Make Some Crafts

There is some fun sets available at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, you can even look up some fun ideas online. Pinterest always has some good ideas, here is a couple of links to some craft ideas that you can refer to.

Another good idea is to look at your local library, I know other libraries might be different, but my library puts their monthly crafts in a video online, an idea that started when the pandemic hit. Get some new decorations in and give each other the memory of a very unique Halloween.

Have A Pumpkin Carving Contest

There is nothing more fun like an old fashioned pumpkin carving contest. You can go for a classic Jack O Lantern, you can also go for a really elaborate design, you can crave it to highlight an important event in your life, or you can even paint it.

You can have a contest with family members, roommates, a virtual contest with your village or local library. Whether you win or not is unknown but you can have so much fun with it.

If They Allow Trick Or Treating Be Smart

If your area allows it, follow the guidelines, wear masks (no Halloween masks are not a substitute for face masks) don't go with people you don't live with, or if you do then wear masks and social distance, have sanitizer handy. If you are going to hand out candy, then wear gloves or distribute them via tongs or get creative as this guy did with the candy chute, or a catapult. If you aren't feeling well, or you may have been exposed to the virus then stay home, and don't pass out candy. (then again we should be doing this anyway pandemic or not, to prevent germ spreading).

Also please respect the houses that decide to sit this one out, you don't know their reasons. They could be taking care of an elderly relative and don't want to expose them, they could have a newborn baby, they could be high risk themselves or have high-risk family members, just be respectful. Don

Halloween is not canceled just because there is little to no trick or treating this year, it's like saying Christmas is canceled because you couldn't get presents, or Thanksgiving is canceled just because you can't have a large family gathering. Halloween is so much more than trick or treating, it was what you make of it.

Years from now kids won't remember that one year they didn't go trick or treating they will remember a fun new tradition they got to experience and maybe even pass down to their own families. Be the example for future generations, for those who have little ones in your lives keep this in mind.

Stay spooky my friends.