Halloween 2017: Fun Things To Do In Washington County

Fun things to do this Halloween in Washington County Maryland for kids, teens and adults.

1120
Huffington Post

Do you live in Washington County Maryland or are visiting and looking for fun things to do this month? Well look no farther! This article will guide you through all the parades, haunted houses, pumpkin patches, and corn mazes this area has to offer as well as trick or treating events, crafts, and much much more.

1. Corn Mazes & Pumpkin Patches

Misty Meadow Farm Creamery in Smithsburg Maryland has two corn mazes; one that is aimed for children and a bigger more difficult one for those who want a challenge. What sets these mazes apart from other corn mazes is the hidden questions that help lead you through the maze. Each maze is between 6 to 8 acres of corn. They also have a right turn patio maze, a bale maze, rope maze and spider web maze to try out as well. Other than Mazes there is also a pumpkin patch with pumpkins for sale, hayrides, animals and ice cream. The ice cream is made fresh on the farm and they even have a pumpkin pie flavor for the season that should be worth checking out. There is sugar free, gluten free and dairy free ice cream options as well. Location: Misty Meadow Farm Creamery, 14325 Misty Meadow Road, Smithsburg, MD 21783

Celebration Farm of Hagerstown has 3 different corn mazes to try out. They are open Fridays 5pm to 10pm, Saturdays noon to 10pm, and Sundays noon to 5pm. Please bring your own flashlight for the Friday and Saturday night mazes. Adults and teens are $6 per a person. Kids five to twelve years cost $3 per a person. Kids four and under are only $1 per a person to go through the maze. Pull wagons can be rented out for $5 and strollers are ok. Location: 17638 Garden View Road, Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

2. Haunted Houses

At Creekside Manor in Williamsport Maryland, Mabel Mockenburry, the lady of the house, will gladly escort you to the 13th floor where you will begin your tour of the manor. However, it is important to point out that some of the guests that board the elevator have not been seen leaving it. Mabel's sister Victoria is among the missing this Halloween. It is rumored that she ran off to get married, which greatly angers Mabel, but some guest have seen her at the manor. It is also said that the ghosts of Mabel's late husbands lurk around every corner. And the cook, she is busy making some suspicious BBQ. There has not been a lack of patronage at the Creekside Manor funeral parlor. In fact, the carpenter builds coffins around the clock. If you were to look inside the coffins as they are loaded into the hearse you might find them filled with rocks retrieved from the Conococheague creek. Butcher has taken care of these bodies in his own way. And interestingly enough, Mabel's BBQ business at Creekside continues to grow despite all the missing people.

Creekside Manor is open Fridays and Saturdays through out October. Tickets are $17. Doors open at 7:30pm and last tickets are sold at 10pm. Location: 11759 Snug Harbor Lane, Williamsport, MD 21795

Ravenseye Manor Of Fairplay Maryland is open Fridays and Saturdays though out October from 7pm to 11pm. There is three different attractions to check out; Cursed Hayride, Dark Corn Maze, and Carnival of Souls. Tickets are cash only and there is no ATM there so please keep that in mind before you get there. Cursed Hayride is $10, Carnival Of Souls is $10 and Dark Corn Maze is $5. If you do all three, it is only $20. Location: 8778 Jordan Rd, Fairplay, MD 21733

3. Ghost Tours

Hager house ghost tours hosted by the Jonathan Hager House Museum staff, are guided candle-lit tours through the legendary haunted house museum. This house was the first home of town-founder c.1739. Three tour times are offered nightly; 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm. The tours last 1 hour each and the maximum Tour Group Size is 20 people per tour. The price is $7 per a person. To reserve your space, please use their website. The days that they offer the tours on are October 13th, October 14th, October 21st and October 27th. Location: Johnathan Hager House Museum, 110 Key St, Hagerstown, MD 21740

City Park Ghost tours, hosted by Historic City Park Neighborhoods First group, is a guided outdoor walking tour offered twice each night and lasts about one hour. Check in for City Park Ghost Tours begins at the Jonathan Hager House Museum. Maximum Tour Group Size is 30 people per tour time. The price is $7 per a person. To reserve your space, please use their website. The tours are offered on October 13th, October 14th, October 21st and October 27th at 8pm and 9pm. Location: Johnathan Hager House Museum, 110 Key St, Hagerstown, MD 21740

With ghost tours of the Miller house you can go on a spine-chilling tour of the Miller House Museum as you’ve never seen it before. These exclusive candle-light tours, offered only during the month of October, will reveal the hidden paranormal secrets of one of Hagerstown’s historic houses. Tours are offered on October 7th, 14th, and 21st at 7pm to 9pm. Tickets are $15 per a person. Location: Miller House, 135 West Washington Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Civil War Ghost Stories at the Inn: Join us around the campfire on October 18th from 7 to 8pm at the Jacob Rohrbach Inn to hear tour guides Mark and Julia Brugh craft a vivid portrait of Sharpsburg in the Civil War and bring to light stories of the ghosts for whom the conflict never ended. Location: Jacob Rohrbach Inn, 138 W. Main St., Sharpsburg, MD 21782

Downtown Ghost Tours: Gather at Bulls and Bears Restaurant for a fun evening of hayrides and walking tours on October 20th at 7, 8, and 9pm. Location: 38 S Potomac St #1, Hagerstown, MD 21740

4. Halloween Plays

Dracula the Stage Play, written by Sam Little and Seth Thompson and presented by Maryland Entertainment Group with the musical talents of Kevin Yost, will take you on a journey high into the Carpathian Mountains where a dark host longs to meet you. Will Jonathan, Mina, Van Helsing and the others escape his powerful pull? Show times are: October 13, 14, 19, 20 & 21 at 8 PM and October 14, 15, 21 & 22 at 2 PM. The price is $15 for general admission and $10 for students & seniors. Location: Zion Reformed United Church of Christ, 201 N. Potomac Street , Hagerstown, MD 21740

The Addams Family: A New Musical is being performed in Washington county though out October. Call 301-739-7469 for show schedule and times. Location: Washington County Playhouse & Children's Theater,44 North Potomac Street (rear)

5. Watch Halloween Movies

Williamsport's Washington county library is having a showing on Hotel Transylvania on October 10th at 4pm. Its open for all ages.

Leitersburg cinemas is having a special showing of Friday the 13th on Friday October the 13th at 9pm. Tickets are only $5 each.

The Washington county free library in Sharpsburg has a showing of the Mummy on October 26 from 6 to 8pm.

Clear Spring's Washington county free library on October 20th is showing Bedknobs and Broomsticks from 1pm to 3pm. There will be drinks and popcorn provided.

6. Community Trick Or Treating

Funkstown's Trick or Treat will be on Friday October 27th from 6-8pm.

The Town of Boonsboro, Hagerstown, Sharpsburg, Smithsburg has trick of treating October 31st from 6pm to 8pm

7. Trick Or Treating At The Valley Mall?!

On Thursday October 26 from 5pm to 8pm come to the Valley mall from trick or treating. Once you enter the mall turn to your right and work your way COUNTER CLOCKWISE throughout the mall stopping at all our vendor tables and any merchants handing out treats! You do not have to wait in line once the event begins! We know it’s tempting to follow along, but break with the crowd and start at another vendor table and work your way through! Kids (and Parents): Wear your costumes! We love seeing you in them and we’ll have a roving photographer to capture the images! Bring your own treat bags/buckets, or stop by the Tots2Tweens table to get one. Once you enter the mall turn to your right and work your way COUNTER CLOCKWISE throughout the mall stopping at all our vendor tables and any merchants handing out treats! You do not have to wait in line once the event begins! We know it’s tempting to follow along, but break with the crowd and start at another vendor table and work your way through! Kids (and Parents): Wear your costumes! We love seeing you in them and we’ll have a roving photographer to capture the images! Bring your own treat bags/buckets, or stop by the Tots2Tweens table to get one. Parents: We’ll have 500 bags to hand out to you as well, plus I know our vendors will have treats for you too! Location: The Valley Mall, 17301 Valley Mall Rd, Hagerstown, MD 21740

8. Church Hosted Halloween Fun

Saint Ann Roman Catholic Church's Annual Trunk or Treat will be held on Thursday, October 19 at 7:00 pm in the South Parking Lot. Location: 1525 Oak Hill Ave, Hagerstown, MD 21742

Otterbein United Methodist in downtown Hagerstown is having a Trunk or Treat on October 22 from 6 to 8pm. Location: 108 E Franklin St, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Broadfording church's annual Community Treat Night is on October 26th @6:30pm. This night we invite everyone to be apart of the festivities! Dress up in a costume if you want as there will be a barrel ride, hayride, and a lane of cars for the kids to walk through to get candy. Location: 13523 Broadfording Church Rd, Hagerstown, MD 21740

On October 27th, Veritas United Church of Christ is having a Trunk or Treat from 6 to 8:30. There will be free food, candy, face painting and music. Location: 530 N Locust St, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Mt Nebo also has a trunk of treat in October 27th. Their's is 6 pm to 8pm. Location: 134 S Main St, Boonsboro, MD 21713

Benevola United Methodist 's Trunk or Treat is on Oct. 29 and starts at 4:30 pm. Location: 19925 Benevola Church Rd, Boonsboro, MD 21713

Rehoboth United Methodist in Williamsport is having a Trunk or treat October 29th from 4:30 to 5pm. Location: 30 E Salisbury St, Williamsport, MD 21795

Hagerstown Church of the Nazarene's annual Trunk or Treat will be Sunday, October 29 from 6:00-8:00 pm. Rain or shine, we will have decorated trunks handing out candy, live music, free hot dogs, s'mores, and hot chocolate. Location: Hagerstown Church of the Nazarene,141 N. Edgewood Drive, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Hagerstown Bible Church is having a Trunk or Treat on October 29th from 6 to 7:30pm. There will be candy, food, and fun. Location: 203 Summit Ave, Hagerstown, MD 21740

New Light MCC presents their 3rd Annual Trunk or Treat Night on October 31st from 6pm to 9pm. This event is in conjunction with the City of Hagerstown’s City-Wide Trick or Treat Night. Bring your young ghouls, goblins, superheroes, princesses, miniature celebrities, or ?’s and enjoy a safe Halloween Trunk or Treat. Rain or Shine. Look for the Big Fire Truck. Location: New Light Metropolitan Community Church, 40 West Church Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Emmanuel United Methodist church's Trunk or Treat is Tuesday, October 31, 6:00-8:00 pm. There will be hotdogs to eat in addition to all the candy and treats collected from the trunk or treat. Location: 802 Summit Ave, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Come on down to The Good Shepherd Ministries for a "Harvest Festival" on October 31st from 6:45 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. There will be Trunk or Treat, Hayrides, Bonfires, Games, Food and Fun! Admission is free and everyone is invited. Location: The Good Shepherd Ministries, 19763 Longmeadow Road, Hagerstown, MD 21742

New Light Metropolitan Church is having a trick or trunk from 6 to 8pm on October 31st. Location: 40 W Church St, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Haven Lutheran Church has a trunk or treat as well On October 31st at 6 to 7pm. Location: 1035 Haven Rd, Hagerstown, MD 21742

Mt Lena United Methodist will have a trunk or treat is on the 31st as well from 6 to 8pm. We will have candy and snacks in the parking lot in front of the church for trick or treaters. Location: 21234 MT LENA RD, BOONSBORO, MD 21713

9. Parades

The Funkstown Halloween Parade will be held on Thursday, October 26, 2017, starting at 6:00 p.m. (lineup is at 5:30 p.m.) located on Chestnut Street (rear of Town Hall). Following the parade, a Halloween Costume Contest will take place at the Funkstown American Legion.

On October 28th at 11am is the 5th annual Howl-O-Ween Dog Costume Parade. Dress your pooch and win great prizes! Judging categories for this year include: The Barking Dead, Best Friends (Kids 12 & Under), Celbri'dog, DIY Costume, Limo Worthy, Twinsies, Super Villian, Story Book, and Too Stinkin' Cute. Enjoy vendors, giveaways, fun contests, and photos. Pre-registration recommended. All canine participants must be up to date on all vaccinations to be eligible to participate and accompanied by an adult. Sign up online for $5 or register on-site at the event for $7. After all contestants have walked the red carpet, judges will tally their scores as the winners are identified. Meanwhile, enjoy the Red-Carpet Trick-Off where each dog has 45 seconds to showcase his-or her most amazing tricks, for a chance to win additional prizes, and local fame! And a short and sweet "bobbing for hotdogs" eating contest on the red carpet as well, just before the winners are announced! Check in time for the parade is 10:30 and the parade starts at 11:30. Location: Hagerstown Dog Park at Fairgrounds Park, 351 N. Cleveland Ave. Hagerstown, MD 21740

The Alsatia Mummer's Parade has been a tradition Hagerstown Maryland since 1921! You can be part of history and watch it this year on October 28th. It starts at 6pm. If this is your first time, here is what you should expect: floats for local clubs, stores and organizations, high school marching bands, classic cars, and costumed marchers. Its a big event in the area and always a lot of fun. Remember to bring a coat. Its normally pretty cold. Coming early is a good idea too so you can make sure you have a good seat. Location: Downtown Hagerstown.

10. Kids Costume/Halloween Parties

Come on down to the Discovery Station on October 28th from 1pm to 3:30pm for a Halloween Mystery Party. Children are invited to come dressed up in their Halloween Costumes and "Trick- or -Treat" through the exhibits for clues to discover during this mystery party! There will be games, prizes, Halloween cookies and witches brew. Location: Discovery Station, 101 W. Washington St., Hagerstown, MD 21740

Hagerstown (Central) Washington County Free Library is having a Halloween Party on the 31st for kids ages 6 to 12 from 3:30pm to 4:30. There will be Halloween games, activities and a costume contest. Registration is requested but not required.Contact Number: 301-739-3250 x 250

11. Adult Costume/Halloween Parties

Harldween Spooktacular Dinner Dance: On October 27th from 7pm to 11pm come on down to the Elks lodge to enjoy a tasty dinner, then dance to the sounds of local band Siren. Costumes are optional, but those who do dress up will be in the running for prizes for funniest, most unique and scariest costume.Proceeds from tip jars and 50/50 drawing benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Washington County, MD, Inc. Tickets are $30 per person or $50 per couple and include dinner and the dance. Nobody under 21 will be admitted. To purchase tickets, stop by Herald-Mail Media at 100 Summit Avenue in Hagerstown or click here. For more information, call 301-791-7091. Location: Hagerstown Elks Lodge No 378, 11063 Robinwood Drive, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Come by Suite 710 Restaurant & Lounge on October 28th for The Midnight Hour Costume Party & Contest. Show up on costume before 11pm and get in for free. Price is $10 for people not in costume or for people who show up later than 11. Doors open at 9pm. This is a 21+ event. Music by Dj Bobv. Space is limited for contest contest. When buying a ticket, choose the "Costume Contest Entrant" ticket option if you plan to come in costume to enter for a chance to win $250! Please read ticket descriptions. Cover charge may also be paid in cash at the door. Location: Suite 710, 19330 Leitersburg Pike, Hagerstown, MD 21742

Dan's Restaurant & tap house is having a Wonderland themed Halloween Bash on October 28th. There will be a Dj preforming that night and a costume contest. Location: Dan’s Restaurant and Tap House, 3 South Main St. Boonsboro MD 21713

On October 28th, gay night club The Lodge is having a Things That Go Bump & Hump In The Night Halloween Costume Party. DJ RYAN FOXX will play from 9PM to 11PM. Next there will be a COSTUME CONTEST from 11:15PM to 11:30PM fallowed by DJ SIDEKICK from 11:30PM to 2Am. 1st Place is $200 Lodgie Dollars + $100 Cash, 2st Place $100 Lodgie Dollars + $50 Cash, and 3rd Place $50 Lodgie Dollars + $25 Cash. Location: 21614 National Pike, Boonsboro, MD 21713

12. Halloween Crafts

There will be Pumpkin Painting for 1st to 5th graders on October 12th at Hagerstown (Central) Washington County Free Library in the Story Time Room 227 from 3:30 to 4:30.

Family Craft Day "No Carve" Pumpkin Decorating: Come in to Hancock's Washington county free library on October 14th and create a Pumpkin decoration masterpiece that should last through the fall. This activity is great for all ages. This activity runs from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. Children under 10 require adult supervision. Registration is required and space is limited, so sign up today! Call the Hancock Branch Library at 301-678-5300, or come in and register at the branch.

Haunted Happenings is a a Clearspring Washington county free library event for kids between the ages of 11 and 18. If you are of that age, come in to the library at 4pm to 5:30pm October 27th to create an edible haunted house. All materials provided. Space is limited. Registration required

At the Keedysvile Washington county free library on October 28th from 10am to 11:30 am is a Halloween craft Pinterest party. Come to the library to make a pair of pumpkins out of "wood cookies" to display for the holidays. All materials are provided for each project. REGISTRATION REQUIRED - 301-432-6641

Come in to the Smithsburg Washington county free library on October 28th from 11:30am to 12:30pm to make Halloween treat boxes and fill them with some of your favorite candy. This event is only for kids 10 and under. Come in costume if you desire. Call to sign up. Contact Number: 301-824-7722

13. Other Events

Surgeons vs. Chefs Pumpkin Face-off: Local surgeons and chefs will carve their pumpkins during a two-hour time period on October 9th from 7pm to 9pm. The pumpkin receiving the most votes will be named the 2017 People's Choice Winner. $15, includes one free alcoholic drink. Must be 21 years old to attend. Call 301-790-0076. For tickets, go to www.eventbrite.com. Location: Springfield Barn, 14 Springfield Lane, Williamsport, MD 21795

Chefs
Kris Lehardy --Head Chef The Grille at Runways
E. Jay Zuspan--- 28 South
John Walla--- Black Eyed Susan Restaurant & Catering
Alan Redding--- Desert Rose Cafe

Surgeons
Gary Sherman, M.D. --- Robinwood Orthopaedic Specialty Center Physical Therapy
Stephen Sachs, M.D. ---- Meritus Surgical Specialists
Brenda Paul, DDS ----- Brenda Paul RDH DDS
Mark Roemer, M.D.----- Foot & Ankle Specialists of the Mid-Atlantic

Kids Discover Spooky Science is a Hagerstown (Central) Washington County Free Library event for kids 5 to 9 years old. Come in October 14th at 11am for some spooky science fun. **Registration is required** (Patrons are able to walk in, call, or email children's staff to register) Call (301) 739-3250 x250 for more info.

Harvest Hoedown is on October 14th. From 1-4pm there is scarecrow making, pumpkin painting, balloon giveaways, hay wagon and barrel cart rides, petting zoo, vendors, ages 10 and under hay maze, and face painting. First 1000 children 10 & under receive a free pumpkin. Location: Hagerstown Fairgrounds Park, 351 N.Cleveland Ave, Hagerstown, MD 21740

Do you want your jack-o-lanterns to put on a special show this year for Halloween? Join the mad scientists at Discovery Station on October 14th at 2pm as they show you how to get your pumpkins to ooze slime with a little science thrown into the mix! Location: Discovery Station, 101 W. Washington St., Hagerstown, MD 21740

The Park at Dark, on October 20th from 5:30 to 7:30 pm, is an age appropriate activity suited best for pre-school and elementary school aged children. The family friendly atmosphere will host Halloween themed activities that are meant to be less scary, and more fun. Here are just some of the activities that will be available: games, exciting candy prizes, spooky stories, great hayrides, scarecrow stuffing (bring your own clothes), coloring contests, costume contests, scooter rides, moonbounces, and temporary tattoos. Concessions will be available for additional fees during the event. Tickets are limited so register early! Everyone MUST HAVE A TICKET TO ENTER! This means even toddlers and infants must have a ticket. Children must be supervised by an adult at all times! TICKETS MUST BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE: NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE EVENT! Location: Agricultural Education Center and Rural Heritage Museum, 7313 Sharpsburg Pike, Boonsboro, MD 21713

There will be a Fall Family Fun Day Story Time at Boonsboro Branch of the Washington County Free Library's Children Room on October 21st from 11am to12pm. There will be games, pumpkin decorating, books and hot apple cider at the library.

Halloween Preschool Story Time at Williamsport's Washington county library on October 25th at 11:30 is an event for kids 2 to 6 years old. Wear your costume (if you like) and join us for a special Halloween story-time. Reservations Requested

For one night only, Thursday October 26th from 7pm to 9:30, bring your flashlight to guide a path in the darkness of the vineyard at Knob Hall Winery to find wine and hidden treats! But, be careful... you never know what kind of ghosts or monsters might be lurking in the shadows...This event is for only those 21 years of age and older. Space is very limited. Upon arrival and check-in at the winery you will be required to sign a liability waiver. You will receive a map to follow that will help you find each station. There will be multiple stations through the vines with a special treat (locally made snacks) and you will receive a half glass pour of Knob Hall Winery wine at each station. Note: the vineyard will not be lit, you will be responsible to bring your own headlamp or flashlight to guide you to each station. Tickets available online only at www.eventbrite.com for $30/person. No refunds. After your tour, wine will be available by the glass or bottle in the tasting room until 9:30PM. Location: Knob Hall Winery, 14108 Saint Paul Road, Clear Spring, MD 21722

Boo-tastic Halloween is a Clearspring Washington county free library event for kids 2 to 5 years old with an adult. There will be stories, songs, a craft and Halloween treats. Children are invited to wear their Halloween costumes. This event runs from 11:30am to 12pm on October 27th.

Thanks for reading my article. I hope that you found some fun things to do this month. Do you know any other fun Halloween events in Washington county? If so, add it in the comments. I would love to hear from you.

Also I have a lot more Halloween related articles on theodysseyonline.com so be sure to check that out if your interested. And for more fun, check me out on youtube. I have two channels that I upload to almost every week; InvaderBethany and InvaderBethanyGames. InvaderBethany is my main channel. I don't have a specific type of video I upload there but I normally upload twice a week. On my Second channel InvaderBethanyGames I upload three times a week; Sonic Sundays, Mario Mondays, and Whatever Wednesdays. If you like what you see, please do subscribe.

And For more Halloween fun here is a few recommendations of things to check out.

13 Shows To Binge Watch This Halloween

Candy Corn: Trivia & 13 unique flavors

Halloween: How to take the "Trick" out of Trick or Treat

Awesome Halloween Candy You Probably Didn't Know Existed