Hallmark Christmas Movies Can Teach Us Some Positive Lessons About Relationships

I Don't Care What You Say, Hallmark Movies Teach Us A Lot About True Love And I'm Here For It

These are the messages that really matter.

294

As we are getting closer to the holiday season, Hallmark's holiday movies are on television pretty constantly.

It's hard to imagine the holiday season without sitting on the couch snuggled up in blankets on a cold winter day with a cup of hot apple cider and a Hallmark movie playing. I mean, I love them as much as the next girl.

They are sweet and sappy and the kind of romance stories every girl imagines will happen to her.

The movies all pretty much have the same plots but we still love them. Even though we love them we can see a common theme in most all of them. They all pretty much teach us that to be happy we have to be in a relationship. The plots all are about falling in love and always end with the boy getting the girl. Most of the time their friends or family mention that the protagonist needs to find their mate and fall in love.

The movies are very fun and a big part of my holiday plans but nothing more than just a movie — you can't let that message get to you and affect your life. Don't allow yourself to buy into the lies that if you aren't in a relationship you can't be happy.

There is more to life than always trying to find a relationship. So when you are watching these movies don't look too far into it, just leave it as a lighthearted and fun thing to do. Though Hallmark is subconsciously putting this idea into people's heads, there are some good messages to take away from the movies as well.

For example, they can teach us that communication is key. In most of the movies, a problem arises when someone lies or keeps something a secret and this causes unnecessary drama. If they would've been honest, they would've avoided this problem so we can learn from that.

Another one is that money doesn't matter. Just because you can afford an expensive house doesn't mean you're better than anyone else, and what we know from these movies is that frozen hearts can be thawed. So, love people and have fun. Put your checkbooks away.

In conclusion, we should know when watching these movies not to take to heart that you have to be in a relationship to be happy but if you are going to be in a relationship, it should focus on what really matters, which is love above all else.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.