George Washington Would Be Disappointed In Our Country Today

These shootings need to stop.

152
Ben Noble

I am writing this article three weeks after I found out about the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. I didn't go to Stoneman Douglas, but this particular event deeply affected me. Yes, there have been multiple shootings before the one in Parkland. But this one was just too close to home. This one made me angry and upset that such horrible things happen in this world. I try not to talk about politics, and it's not in my nature to talk about politics either. I tried to stay silent on this issue, but I cannot hold in my opinion any longer.

George Washington, our very first president of United States of America, would be very disappointed in what America has come to be today. You might disagree with me on this. Yes, George Washington would be proud of how our country became one of the world's superpowers. However, he would be disappointed in the government today in America.There have been reports of eighteen shootings since the beginning of the new year. Innocent lives have been lost during these eighteen shootings this year. Washington would be disappointed in our government who hasn't made any gun reform laws. They blame these shootings on mental health. Yes, mental health is one the biggest factors in this issue; however, the government must make stricter laws regarding guns.

I hate to say this, but I think George Washington would be disappointed in us as American citizens. We are the ones who vote for the people that have positions in the government. It is crucial that us Americans know who we are voting for and the candidates' stances on issues like gun reform, economic policy, immigration policy, etc. If we vote for people that take money from the NRA, obviously nothing will happen. Thankfully, students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High are changing the world by creating the "#NeverAgain" movement. Students from the high school created a march called March For Our Lives. Marches will happen nationwide, but there will be the main march in Washington D.C. on March 24. It is truly amazing that after such a tragic event, these students are doing something that will change our country for the better.

Not only do we need to vote for people that will help change our country's laws, but we need to be there for one another. It is unfortunate that there are people out there that want to hurt others because they have been bullied or are dealing with some issues on their own. If you ever see or notice someone that might be looking sad, go help that person. Help that person by smiling at them or going up to them to make sure they are okay. Your smile and words can change that person's world.