Gunshots In Question At The University Of Oklahoma

38

Students heard gunshots at approximately 11:30 a.m. on the University of Oklahoma campus. Whether or not the sounds did, in fact, come from a gun is yet to be determined by police and campus officials.

Alexandra Bare, a senior in Delta Delta Delta sorority, told the Odyssey that authorities have not yet confirmed that any gunshots were actually fired. Only those in Gould Hall were able to hear the sounds of what resembled shots.

Gould Hall is on the South Oval, the central hub of campus life, right across from the stadium and next to the journalism building. It houses the architecture and interior design programs and was recently renovated the year before last.

Rumor on campus is that a piece of architectural equipment malfunctioned, making a gunshot sound. "We saw a few police motorcycles speed by," Sarah Pitts, a sophomore in Gamma Phi Beta, said. "Then police running with guns. In a matter of seconds the entire campus was running, and students darted inside buildings. My building went on lockdown, but we have been released to go back to classes. So far, everyone I know is safe and sound."

Another student, Morgan Brunelli, a sophomore in Delta Gamma, was walking down the South Oval on campus when she heard three police cars come speeding behind her and stop. The officers then got out of the cars and sprinted across the street to Gould Hall. One was holding a machine gun.

Students looking to social media for answers received mixed information, keeping everyone on campus updated, but often with wrong and seriously exaggerated facts. Many university students remain optimistic, however, appreciating all the hard work and diligence of local and campus responders.

"We are all very proud of the speed and bravery of our first responders, including our university president, David Boren," said Sophie Orlich, a junior in Chi Omega. "Their dedication to keeping all students and faculty safe reminds us of how proud we are to be Sooners!"

Jeff Scott, a junior Phi Kappa Psi, added, "We trust our University officials to look out for our best interest. They did a great job alerting us of the potential danger, and the local first responders were swift with their arrival to the scene. Seeing the concern and support from the Sooner community is heartwarming and reassuring that we are a family."