Guide to Your Solo Spring Break Road Trip

Try not to get worked up when two semis take up both lanes and don't seem to be trying to pass each other.

56

Spring break is upon us. Everyone knows what that means: ROAD TRIP! Whether you're going across the state or across the nation to, hopefully, warmer weather (fingers crossed for you), here's your guide to your solo spring break road trip.

1. Map your trip and have a schedule.

Knowing your route and what major cities you may hit is crucial in planning a smooth and fast as possible road trip. Plan your trip to hit those major cities when they're not in rush hour and you'll find yourself shaving off minutes of your road trip. Also, make sure to check the weather as your trip gets closer. Make sure you won't be hitting any severe weather and putting yourself in a bad situation.

2. Maintenance your car.

The last thing you want is a billion lights popping on your dashboard because your car wasn't serviced. Especially if your going across the country, make sure that your car has an oil change, anti-freeze, and your AC/heat works!

3. Double, no, triple check you packed everything.

Don't forget the staples of life - bra and panties and stuff. Don't forget your aux cord and phone charger, either! Those are real necessities on a long road trip, no matter where you're going. Not to mention, snacks are needed!

4. Get the tunes flowing ASAP.

Whether you're a Spotify or Apple Music user, make sure you have the right playlist bumping the whole time. Something to keep you awake that you can jam to but not jam too hard to that you end up on the side of the road, ya feel?

5. Sight-see through bigger cities.

There is nothing wrong with pulling off and sight-seeing in the cities you pass through that you may never see again. Unless you're on a set schedule where you have to get to your destination immediately, make sure to take a break every now and again to keep your mind focused and fresh.

6. Only stop at brightly lit, occupied gas stations.

Please for the love of God, do not wait until you're running on E and have to stop at some sketch-ass gas station to fill up. None of us want you to become the star of the next horror movie.

7. While you're there, stock up on energy drinks.

Any time you stop, make sure to use the bathroom so you don't have to make another stop 50 miles down the road and stock up on energy drinks, coffee, pop, or whatever gets you wired and awake. Grab more snacks if you're out.

8. Try to keep your road rage to a minimum.

I struggle with this one. Try not to get worked up when two semis take up both lanes and don't seem to be trying to pass each other. Don't get frustrated at the Honda that keeps weaving in-and-out of traffic trying to get ahead of the pack. Try to focus on your own driving and just be cautious of those road rage causing idiots.

9. If you're able to, drive through the night.

Traffic goes way down when it's 2 o'clock in the morning and you're one of the only cars on the road. If you're a night owl like me, put a real dent in your trip by driving straight through the night. Trust me, this is usually the difference between me hitting Atlanta at 8:00 a.m. morning rush hour or hitting it at 4:00 a.m. and cruising right through.

10. Don't speed too much.

Go with the flow of traffic and you'll typically be good. Normally, in bigger cities, traffic flows quite a bit higher than the posted speed limit. However, the last thing you want to do is be the speed demon going down the interstate that gets a ticket you've got to pay off instead of spending buying souvenirs on your vacation.

It's really all about having fun and making it to your destination safely. You learn a lot about yourself, what your body can do, and about the land that we live in! Happy Spring Break Road Tripping!