A 10-Step Guide To Becoming A Better You

Start with letting go of the negativity.

91

.

​1. Let Go of Negativity

Negativity is that one common voice that nags. It drags your spirit down. It makes you feel like you have everything to lose and nothing to live for. It can trap your mind and spirit. Negativity can keep you locked into an unending wave of self-doubt, self-hate, confusion, and you just want to rip your hair out and cry until you can't anymore and then cry more. Well, it is time to release all of that! Take a deep breath. Say the phrase: "I let go of all negativity that rests in my body and mind." No, the road forward will not be easy but believe what you affirm. Soon you will feel the negative thoughts float off you.

​2. Be Kind to Others (what goes around comes around)

You know how your elderly relatives always tell you to be kind? Well, that is not just some ole old folk spell casting- kindness really does get reciprocated. Maybe not in the ways we would have them but you do get good karma when you take the time to give it out. Try volunteering this coming holiday season at a food pantry, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, or even an animal shelter. Get into the spirit of giving early. You never know who could be watching you and who could do something for you. And also, be kind to yourself.

​3. Do You, Boo Boo

The best way to be your best self is to be who you are, as you want to be! I know that seems easier said than done but in all honesty, no one can tell you how to be who you are. In fact, no one even knows how to except you. And that is something to be extremely proud of.

​4. Realize Your Values

Accepting challenges as paths to clarity is an important part of realizing your values. Knowing what you believe in for yourself, whether that be based on religion or spirituality or a personal philosophy of some kind or simply what you've always grown up believing. Bottom line...keep believing that. Keep striving for your values and expectations. Do not allow anyone to ever deter you or change who are and what you believe- unless you really really feel the same.

5. Banish Self-Doubt

This is one I have an issue with myself. I come a little too often but self-doubt is one of those things that is difficult to ignore. For me, it comes when I overthink. When I am moving too fast, or faster than I can think and I pile my plate high with tasks. I'm learning to be stricter with myself about staying calm and listening to those people and things around me. Opening my eyes, taking note of changes, and being mindful in all situations has helped me to remove self-doubt from my life. Each day I tell myself that I can. I can. I can do any and everything I put my mind to. And then I do it. Also, do NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP IF YOU GENUINELY CAN NOT DO SOMETHING!!! IT IS OKAY! JUST TRY AGAIN!

6. Practice More Self-Love

Self-Love is key. Taking time for you is very important for your personal well being. Being available for you to do the things that make you feel appreciated and special. This could be having a spa day- go get your nails and hair done. Hands and Feet! This could be a stay-cation. Search on Pinterest "Stay-cation Ideas". You never know what you might find. You want to find these 3 things... one thing to make you happy, one thing to make you money, and one thing that brings you peace. Practice positive affirmations. For me, this is telling myself I'm beautiful in the mirror each time I look into one. Practicing self-love could be eating that second or third brownie, or having another glass of wine, or watching another episode of your favorite show. Or maybe you read another chapter before bed or decide to go to bed 30 minutes earlier.

7. Read More Books

Books are quintessential to understanding more information and engaging with our world. Try going online and googling: "what book should I read quiz" and then start clicking. You may just find the most perfect book to read and a story that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Perhaps ask a bookworm in your family or among your friends for books they'd recommend and possibly borrow if they have it. Google book recommendations for people dealing with whatever is on your mind at the time. The possibilities are endless. The key to actually reading the books, however, is TURN OFF YOUR PHONE! There is nothing wrong with disconnecting every once in a while. If you have to, make a notification to your audience that you will be offline for the next 2 hours then set a timer and stick to that. Why not set a time everyday to read and have your phone remind you. That could work.

8. Actualize Your Ideal Self

Actualizing is making what you're thinking a reality. Journaling is good to use here. Writing down your goals and when to reach them. This helps you to focus in on your tasks and achieve them one by one. Visualize yourself completing everything on your list in due time. Don't rush yourself or set crazy expectations you know you can't reach right now. You will be able to reach them in due time.

9. Allow Yourself to Make Mistakes

You are human! Repeat that: "I am human. I make mistakes- and that's okay." We are all human. We all make mistakes- and that's okay. Don't kill yourself because one thing didn't go as planned or even properly or as it should. Shit happens, man. No reason to internalize the negative energy. In fact, celebrate your failures. You always learn from your failures. Always, even if the takeaway is seemingly meaningless...no. It means something and you should see the good in learning the lesson.

10. Self-Reflect

Reflect. Reflect. Reflect. Ask yourself personal questions like "What did I do well?", "What could I have done better?", "What do I need to complete/accomplish right now?" These kinds of questions have answers that are situational which means they're temporary or always changing- just like you are. Accept that fact and find joy in knowing that you won't be the same person tomorrow. You'll be better. There are a bunch of apps on your phone that help with self-reflection and self-care. Meditation is a good method of self-reflection. Taking time alone to process where you are in life, what you need to do, and express that you will feel the confidence to accomplish those things. Then reflect on what you learned from the experience. Take in everything, and release it back out into the world.