Guide For Traveling Alone

Guide For Traveling Alone

The do's and don'ts of flying solo in a foreign city.

20
Guide For Traveling Alone
TrekEffect

Learning how to travel on my own has been one of the greatest lessons of my study abroad. I started doing little weekend trips alone and eventually spent two weeks traveling around Italy with ease. If you're looking to travel alone, here are a few tips I have to help guide you in navigating a new city or country when you're flying solo.

1. Pick somewhere you've always wanted to go.

Something you’ll quickly learn is that by traveling alone, you get to have the vacation you always wanted. Traveling with family and friends is amazing but now you get to do exactly what you want. So pick the place or places you’ve always dreamed of traveling to because this trip is all about you. And being excited and in love with the place you're about to spend a couple days or weeks in will make it all the more rewarding at the end.

2. Make a list.

You don’t have to plan out absolutely everything (unless you’re into that) but you should make a list of things you’d like to do. Remember, though, the list doesn’t have to be a list of top tourist attractions—in fact, it shouldn’t be. It should be things you’ve always wanted to do, like find the best Tiramisu in Rome or see work by your favorite artist. Having a list ensures that you don't miss anything and I've always found it fun to end my days checking off everything I saw and accomplished so far.

3. Don’t be afraid to be alone.

At first, it’s hard to muster up the courage to do certain things when you’re solo, like go out to dinner or go to a concert. But it’s not as big of a deal as you think. Don’t be afraid of eating alone in that restaurant everyone you know recommended to you. Own your independence and let yourself feel lonely. Being alone in a foreign culture will bring you closer to yourself than you could ever imagine.

4. Don't be stupid.

Be aware of your surroundings. Make sure you always know where your phone or wallet is. If you’re out at night, make sure you are in areas with a lot of people and you feel comfortable. This is just common sense and should apply to any situation, traveling or not.

5. Put yourself out there.

Traveling alone doesn’t have to be solitary; in fact, it shouldn’t be. My best advice is to do a free walking tour of whatever city you’re in. These tours are a great way to meet people who are traveling on their own! I met a huge group of solo travelers last week in Rome following this method. But also be open to meeting people. Help others when they ask if you can take a photo of them or if they need help figuring out where they are. You never know who you are going to run into—they could end up being a friendly face to talk with for a few minutes or a surprise breakfast companion or someone you’ll contact again after you head home!

6. Keep in touch with family and friends.

Check in every now and again and let family and friends know you’re okay and that you’re thinking of them. It can be hard navigating different time zones or schedules but keeping in touch can really help fight homesickness.

Some nights will be hard and you will feel like you made a mistake but these moments of regret can easily be fixed by a short phone or Skype call home.

7. Aside: Packing Tips.

Packing can seem daunting at times, but here are a few things that I found useful and would recommend to anyone who is traveling. Good walking shoes, CityMaps2Go App, universal power strip/extension chord, comfy clothes (four or five days of outfits is enough for any amount of time abroad) and a good backpack.